Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best wood for St Louis pork ribs?

Options

I'm looking for recommendations for wood chunks for my ribs this weekend.  I have some hickory I plan to use, but if anyone has a strong recommendation for something else, I'm open to experimenting.  Also, I'm smoking 3 racks on my rib rack, but I'm trying to figure out how to get them sauced without moving them around too much.  Anyone have thoughts?  (wood and sauce)

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think my favorite on pork is a combination of hickory and apple.  For saucing the ribs I like to remove them from the rack and lay them flat. Sometimes you have to jockey them around a bit or even do them in a couple of stages depending on how big the racks are. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have using Pecan and Cherry, it just gives a milder smoke flavor. Hickory if you want more of a smoke flavor. It took me years of egging to figure out all the smoke flavors. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It comes down to personal taste and preference. To me one would be hard pressed to do any better than oak and pecan. But this is just my personal preference. If I use hickory I always use some cherry as well to tame and balance the hickory out. Again this is just my preference and how I like to do it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Pecan and Apple have done good for me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like fruit wood for pork, but pecan and hickory adds to it. Is all about taste preference and what you like. I find cherry gives out a good smoke ring though. if using chunk your only need about 3 or 4 good size pieces to get about 2 hours of smoke. I feel any more then that and it is a waste. Have fun and let us know how it comes out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.