Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: dogs & ticks

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Took my 10 month old puppy swimming in creek for the first time last week.  Checked for Ticks after when I shampooed him and found nothing.  Checked again a minute ago and  found 2.  Plucked them, but I still gotta check the inner ears (PS NEVER GOOGLE DOG EAR TICKS) later tonight with my Wife's help.

I called the VET and she told me they are bad this year.  Just a reminder to all you Dog owners out there - check your fluffs!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Ticks are very bad this year in the North East. I was playing fetch with Sam in the dune grass and pulled 8 of the little guy! Thank goodness for Frontline Pro.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use K9 Advantix II for my dog and never had an issue.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have my wife check me for ticks every night.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All I read was "GOOGLE DOG EAR TICKS", then I went straight to images.  Ewwwwwwww!!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    was bad up here earlier in the year but not so much now. pretty much every outside dog i know has lyme disease and i know maybe 10 or so people that have gotten lyme
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

was bad up here earlier in the year but not so much now. pretty much every outside dog i know has lyme disease and i know maybe 10 or so people that have gotten lyme

That blows. Do people not realize a remedy exists or are they just too lazy to apply a dropper once a month?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    That blows. Do people not realize a remedy exists or are they just too lazy to apply a dropper once a month?
    my dog gets the dropper, and was vaccinated against lyme and still got it, its not so simple. they had a human vaccine as well that they just stopped making. we get so many ticks at times, ive removed as many as 2 dozen after a 20 minute walk with the dog. google ghost moose ticks if you want to see some mean tick problems, small moose dont make it thru the winter with the loss of their coats up in northern maine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    The ticks were really bad this spring here in the midwest.  Went mushroom hunting and pulled 6 off before getting in the car and found 4 more the next couple of days.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options

Yup, I got lyme about 5 years ago. 104 temp when I got to the doctors. Not a fun time. My knuckles still hurt to this day because of it.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    The one thing that most folks don't realize is that you need to protect your animals from mosquitoes as heart worms can be transmitted.  If you ever had a pet with heart worms you will make sure to have some type of preventative on them. 

I went with K9 Advantix II due to its ability to repel biting flies.  They are terrible in my area.  They would gather around my dogs ears and make terrible sores.  I was using Frontline Plus and it did nothing. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    Options
    My weimaraner had heart worms when she was younger.  It's a pain in the ass.  Now give heart guard every month.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Our dogs have had a tough time with ticks the last few years here in central Texas, despite using advantix, frontline, etc.  We switched to Seresto and it's worked better for us than anything else.  It's a collar that you put on the dog, it's ~ $50 and I think it lasts for 6-8 months.  Coverage for fleas, ticks and a number of bugs - kills as well as repels them.
  • tarheelmatt
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @saluki2007, I use both, Advantax II and Heartguard.  The Advantax II for replant and the Hearguard to kill them in case it fails. 

My chocolate lab had heartworms and it broke my heart man that I alowed this to happen to him.  I had him treated and that was torture.  He took it well and lived a while longer.  After two years his heart just couldn't take it any longer.  I miss that dog so much and still feel guilty today. 

I promised myself that will never happen under my watch again. 

Here is.. His name was Levi.  Dog was a show stopper when at the lake.  Jump off piers, plung through the water to get whatever was thrown.  Tennis ball was his favorite thing in the world and for someone to throw it for him.  He would wear your arm out throwing the ball so much. 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @mountaindewbass, what do you do for mosquitoes?  Mosquitoes is the number one cause of heart worms in our pets. 

Yes we don't want fleas and ticks on them, but mosquitoes can do just as much harm. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @mountaindewbass I got you.  Mosquitoes are pretty bad in our area with no standing water, which is not always breeding ground for them.  They stay in the ground, mulch, and other areas just as well. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • saluki2007
    Options
    @Tarheelmatt  Sorry for your loss.  He looks like he was a tank.  Some monster paws.  Growing up we never treated for heartworms for our dog.  The winter would kill most of the bugs that carried the disease (so I thought).  When I moved south, never really thought about treating our dogs because never had in the past.  She got them when she was only around 1 year old.  It's been 6 years since and she is still going strong thankfully.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @saluki2007, thanks for the condolences. 

He was for sure.  We didn't treat or give preventative for them either growing up. We would give them a dip in flea/tick stuff and they would wear a flea and tick collar.  I just didn't know the repercussions of not giving the proper meds and care, until now. 

That is awesome your dog is still around. 

What prompted me was one day Levi just passed out in the middle of the yard.  Like he had a seizure or something.  I was freaked out for sure.  I took a video of him and went to the vet, and they confirmed it was heart worms with a test.  Oxygen was just not flowing through his bloodstream like it should.  Does help that he was a high powered dog on top of that so he needed as much oxygen through his blood as possible. 

The treatments really take a toll on them though, plus he was 10 years old, which age was getting to the old boy too.  Man I miss that dog.....
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    For tarheelmatt.  My Levi @ 3 months.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @Legume, oh buddy!  What a show stopper.  He will be your buddy for a long time for sure. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Advantix & Trifexis.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN