Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Pork Butts on an XL?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I have been asked to do pulled pork for the company picnic.  Do you know how many butts I can get on the XL?  I have the CGS adjustable rig.  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I did five with no problems at all. Good luck"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've done 7 before without too many theatrics.  4 on the bottom, 3 on the top.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    The only thing, and I've said this numerous times, is make sure you have a large enough drip pan underneath and one that can be emptied if needed.
    I forgot one during a larger pork butt cook and had a helluva fire whenever I would lift the lid to rotate the butts.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Agree the drip pan is key.  Here are six (avg 8 lbs) on an XL with a grill dome extender.  There is room to add more on bottom, but I didn't need to cook more than six and I was at the limit of the drip pan that I had.  With the PS legs down and a tall foil drip pan, the grid was up to gasket level which put the top three butts way up in the dome. You can see in the second pic one of them hit the dome (black smudge) when I closed it so I had to rearrange a bit.  Rotating them was challenging and there was at least 90 min difference between the first one being ready and the last.  I cooked them LS overnight.  All six turned out really well.

imageimage
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    correction - PS legs up.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I did 8 once. It was 65lbs. It was tight...image
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I never rotated. Just kept temp checking and pulled them off as they finished. The first one came off a full 4 hours before the last.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

The only thing, and I've said this numerous times, is make sure you have a large enough drip pan underneath and one that can be emptied if needed.

I forgot one during a larger pork butt cook and had a helluva fire whenever I would lift the lid to rotate the butts.
    Why rotate the butts unless one is over direct heat? I never rotate indirect cooks.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA