Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: from sea to belly in 30 minutes

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
Decided to pull 6 of my two year old oysters outta my grow cages for a lite lunch of fried oysters yesterday. I'm an amateur oyster grower. Not pro yet. Sometimes you can find other tasty things in the oyster cages and crab traps. Yesterday my treat was a recently shed soft shell crab. So I dialed back to only 4 oysters. Not to worry, I did not go hungry. Notice the size of my oysters. Chap stick in the picture for size scale. Just a simple flour and old bay dredge cause that's all I had in the cottage. Heavenly.
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    nice!  
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Wow! That was a quick turnaround. Looking good Jethro. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Don't you mean "From seament pond to belly in 30 minutes?"
    Flint, Michigan
  • eggforever
    eggforever Posts: 20
    Options
    Looks great. Did you cook them and how?
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Jethro, that is a great looking meal! I need to encompass/enjoy more of the Chesapeake Bay's bounty. In the Va Beach/Knotts Island area I am.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Jethro, that is a great looking meal! I need to encompass/enjoy more of the Chesapeake Bay's bounty. In the Va Beach/Knotts Island area I am.

Nothing better than the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I would like to be your friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Damn that look awesome!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Love me sum oysters. 

I would like to hear more about this little operation.
    Options
    @nolaegghead, 2 years ago I put in 10,000 young 'uns.  I've been harvesting those since last fall.  Pic attached of my cages that rest on the bottom beside my pier.  I occassionally pull them up to powerwash, sort, harvest.  Since I'm about half way thru harvesting the 10k (actually much less than that due to natural mortality), I put in another 10,000 young 'uns last month.    I'm a hobbyist at this point but I'm tracking and measuring everything so that I can do a pro forma of what a small 100k -500k commercial operation would look like.  I hope to semi-retire in 8 years and do something non-corporate.  Tired of working for da man.  Wanna be da man!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I'm so your new best friend. I love oysters.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Darn you! Thats a great looking fry. Now I'm craving some delicate and petite oysters like you just showed the world! Having lived in the Pacific NW for a long-time the Olympia oyster is my favorite, primarily due to its "perfect" size like those in your picture. Darn you! Now what, Im in the desert area of Southern California....a tuna sandwich isnt gonna cut it.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ^:)^ I'm liking what I see! That's quite a lil oyster sweat shop ya got going there. Nice man nice ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Oysters are great on the egg as are dry scallops.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• JethroVA
    Options
    @Gogogordy, you sir, are incorrect! We here in Virginia do not have "petite" oysters.  Yours is a different (gasp, ASIAN) species.  A bit more fishy tasting than Crassostrea virginica (genus, species) IMHO. OK, some of my oyster raising brethren will sell you small ones but not me! Actually I don't sell, not legal cause I'm not properly licensed and taxed for retail. (I said that because "the current administration" is listening). Actually, i have a day job and just don't want the IRS attention. Not trying to start a fight with my left coast brother, just protecting our "brand". And bored, so trying to start a witty dust-up. With SGH offline for 5 more days, gotta do something to amuse myself. Old timers: notice how I used "brethren" and "brothers"? I love to flush out those who are easily offended. It's a southern thing. Just hope that we don't say, "bless your heart". That is about a high an insult as it comes in the south. Ok SWMBO said I'm all done for tonight.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    You can't beat a freshly shed soft shell and those oysters look to be the bombdiggety!
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @Bayarad, this softie still had some old shed shell clinging on.  He was that fresh.  So tender, no chewy day-old shell.  I say it was a "he" because we're having a down crab season on the bay vs. last year and if he had been a she, I'd prolly let her go.  
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Ok, for those who don't know, it's pretty easy to tell a female crab from a male crab.  @henapple and @cazzy are male crabs, for example. Just kiddin brothers!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'm the male....not sure about @cazzy I'm holding.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Jethro, I love soft shell crabs and used to catch them off my dad's dock in north west Florida. He's had a bum year for crabs too. We just did about a doz and a half with 5lbs of ga shrimp we got. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Damn Travis that looks like what I expect upon my arrival to Heaven!