Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any one know how to smoke turkey??

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anyone knew a recipie for a 15lb turkey on the egg. I have never done a turkey on my green egg yet. I guess I am still a novice at this smoker still. But never the less for my first x-mas meal at my house I would like everyone to expierience the flovor these bad boys produce. One problem, I don't know how to cook the turkey.So if any one has a good recipie and would be willing to share it I would be greatful. Thanks

Comments

• pipedream
    Options
    Hey-
    I did a large bird, 13.61 lbs., for Thanksgiving. It turned out great and here is all I did.
    Washed the bird, patted it dry, melted some butter, and coated it inside and out with the butter. This is messy cause the cold bird makes the melted butter turn back solid. Once fully coated I sprinkled on my favorite dry rub (you could use anything).
    Got the egg set up for indirect with the plate setter. I sat the bird down breast side up on the v-rack, i do not use the veritcal rack. had a drip pan with some water in it under the rack. had a steady fire of 250 degrees with several chunks of soaked mesquite on it. i put the turkey on at 2:30am, and it was done at 8:30am, which was 26 minutes per pound. I left the little pop out thermo in it and it had popped out when i lifted the lid for the first time at 8:00am. i had planned on it taking longer, but no problem, i got a clean cooler ready and set the turkey in an aluminum pan and double wrapped the turkey in foil, layed some towels on top and shut the cooler. did not open it until time to carve and serve, i think that was 12:30 or 1, and it was fantastic. VERY SMOKEY! and VERY JUICY! it was a big hit, i usually fry one at Thanksgiving but not this year. everyone loved the smoked turkey and it was alot easier and alot less messy than deep frying one. hope this helps.