Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Pellets, No Lump Cook

Options
Has anyone ever tried using wood pellets in their Egg? I have tried a few flavored pellets instead of wood chips, which seem to burn quickly. Anyway, this got me wondering if anyone has ever tried a cook using only pellets?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Would you dump say 5 pounds of pellets in or more?  (Not going to mention that they will fall through the fire grate.  Oooops!  I just did, lol!)  I have burned wood chunks in an Egg and it was a disaster.  Either you give it enough air to burn with a flame and have very high temperatures, or you choke it down to a smolder and have enormous clouds of smoke and creosote.  I welded my DFMT to the the dome with creosote.  I'd think you would need some sort of pellet mechanism like they have in pellet cookers in order to just burn the right amount at a time to produce a small fire.  What did you have in mind?
    The Naked Whiz
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

Just thinking out loud, and wondered if anyone else had tried just pellets before. As I posted before, I have added pellets to Lump and seemed to work OK.........they just didn't last very long much like wood chips. I now mainly used chunks, so far much better results. Didn't really see any apparent advantage to doing it. Just seems this forum has many innovative people on it, and thought someone may have already experimented with pellets.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2014
    Options
    People mostly use pellets for cold smoking cheese, fish, and bacon with a product called an A-maze-n smoker.

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for info.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I have used another brand of grill for pellet cooking... Not one of the standard pellet grills with an auger and fan. I found that it didn't work all that well and in fact they quit building them.
    Pellets burn really fast or they would just smoke like crazy. I don't think they would be a fit for the egg. Just my 2c
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR