Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT CAMPFIRE Smoked Seafood Stew! (w/ PICS)

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
This isn’t BGE related, although you could make it on your egg easily enough!  But mainly, I’m posting it because I am not part of any other community that appreciates a good cook like folks do here.  And...I did cook over lump!  :)

I like to cook on campfires.  Always have.  Probably started when I was a kid and we’d go on these fishing trips up in Ontario and the guides would make a shore lunch that was always the highlight of my day.  I think that’s where we got this pan I still cook with.  I have a fire pit in the backyard and never cook on it.  Just seems too convenient to use the BGE or stove when I’m home.  BUT when I’m camping away from home (particularly next to water because it makes cleanup effortless) out comes the pan and ideas for a cook!

I’m not sure what to call this, so I’ll go with-
Scallop, Clam and Smoked Sausage Stew

I brought the smoked sausage from home, but on the way to the river I stopped by Harris Teeter to see what kind of seafood they had.  I wanted some big sea scallops but all they had were bay scallops and some nice looking clams so I went with that.  We hadn’t caught any sizable fish yet or I would have chunked up some filets and added them as well.

This was a quick cook and fun to prepare.  I took the scallops and mixed them with some cajun seasoning, a little beer and right before I threw them in the pan I squeezed a bit of lemon in there.  BUT, first I started off by browning the smoked sausage.  

As soon as that was done, in went the scallops until they just started to cook…

…I then added in 3/4 can of chicken stock, a bit of lemon juice and some cajun seasoning.  As soon as that started to simmer, in went the clams!

As the clams cooked I let the stock reduce and then when they started to open in went some cooked brown rice and a bit of hot sauce.   Just before serving I threw in a little cream, cilantro, green onions and some cold butter!

This would have been great with anything…and nice hunk of bread would have done well, but we went with black beans and corn.   Why?  Because those are the two cans I grabbed from home so that’s how it was served... LOL   And it was awesome!!!   The marriage of flavors in here was killer.   The clams were tender, the scallops held their flavor, the sausage added a little smokiness and the lemon and cilantro really brightened up the sauce.  I don’t think I could recreate it at home!   Well…maybe over the egg.  ;)

Do you have any favorite campfire cooks? 
I think I need to get a dutch oven for the backyard...
LBGE/Maryland

Comments