Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping Thermometer Leads

Options
Does anyone wrap their thermometer leads in foil?  Over the years I've burned out more Polder probes than I can count so I'm wondering if its worth wrapping the Polder and Maverick wires

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• AmericanFlannel
    Options
    I stick a piece of foil folded in half where the lid comes down and stick the wire through that but nothing else.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,403
    Options
    Been wrapping the whole cable (til it is a few inches outside the BGE) for years-cheap insurance is how I approach it.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'm in the school that does though plenty of people say they don't. Reason I do is that fine wire mesh when unprotected gets encased in grease and smoke and then gets stiff and brittle and then in time breaks. OTOH my BBQ Guru has the old style Teflon coated leads which ShotGun Fred always insisted foiling would hurt them so I never have. OTOH they are smooth and easily wipe clean.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Not sure how much protection foil gives, other than keeping the grease off them.  If I wrap my finger in foil and hold it over a flame, it will still burn - probably worse.  That being said, mine are wrapped.