Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

String Theory

Options
2»

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    What a great way to kick off a Saturday with a good laugh!! 
    I can't wait to give this technique another try... I'm sure it will most likely
    to be followed by a pair of scissors to free the imprisoned lump!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Options
    The things I have pondered since joining this forum!
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks like most on the forum use the age old adage of if it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.

I for one will be using the method @Eggcelsior‌ posted from now on.

Funny that when you get a loose thread in your clothes and pull on it the seam comes undone. But when you do the same on a bag, it rips the $#!+ out of it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I stab mine open with a civil way bayonet attached to a musket. Works great!!!!
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Botch said:
    Look for the side with the loose thread. I can open a bag quicker than with a knife.

So do you grab the loose thread? (no you don't, I know).  What DO you grab?  
    I have three degrees but it was only last year I figured out how to use a tie-down strap; I do NOT want to die before figuring out this damn bag string!!!  
    X(
    This may be part of the problem, but you can overcome.

I'm with @cajuncook, one good smack with the ash tool or a trowel or whatever is nearby and has even a bit of an edge.  I dump the charcoal into a plastic tub and go from there, so the bag doesn't help me once I get it home, although I like the light the whole bag idea mentioned also, may have to try that...
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Light the bag theory.... Would that be the Kingsford Theory???

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    @Botch‌, when pulling through the first loop, you are "untying" or unraveling it, rather than pulling on it straight away. After it's out, pull away. I reread what I wrote and just wanted to clarify. This video is a good example: http://youtu.be/Q-NHxRwds4g
    Thank you!!! Worked the first time.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just rip the bag open, by pulling it apart. I don't mess with the string. Same thing I did with my dogs food bags. Easy to do.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.