Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Prime Rib

Options
Just want to share my first prime rib attempt.  I started with a 6# boneless from a local butcher shop.  His seasonings are excellent so let him do that part.  24 hours in the frig, coated it with olive oil and a little Monteral steak seasoning and then let it sit for about an hour and a half. I roasted it for just under 3 hours at between 375 and 390.  We don't like ours kicking or mooing so brought the internal temp to 135 degrees.  After a very quick sear and 15 min rest I  ended up with the best prime rib ever. Very juicy and evenly done to slightly pink all the way through.  The whole thing was a great experience.  Done indirect of course with PS legs up.  Two things I noticed....how very little charcoal I used and even at 375 degrees, the vents were barely open.  Of course we'll be doing it again but first have to keep trying something different.  Thanks to everyone on this forum.  I've learned a lot and it has made my BGE a very positive experience.  Next, pizza or BB ribs.

Comments

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    congrats, sounds good!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome! It sounds delicious. However, the lack of pics will make many doubt that it really happened.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sounds great. I haven't done a prime on the Egg yet... but will probably do one soon.
    Just out of curiosity, what was the temp of the egg for the sear, and did you remove the PS for the sear?
    In the past I would cook the prime rib on the Traeger and then sear in the oven... can wait to use the egg for the entire cook.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Welcome. Sounds like a great cook. Prime Rib is amazing on the Egg.
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    mcmac said:
    Sounds great. I haven't done a prime on the Egg yet... but will probably do one soon.
    Just out of curiosity, what was the temp of the egg for the sear, and did you remove the PS for the sear?
    In the past I would cook the prime rib on the Traeger and then sear in the oven... can wait to use the egg for the entire cook.
    I did remove the PS for the sear.  Not sure of the temp, as I had the cover open.  I just waited till the coals got very hot and put the roast back on.  It seared very fast.  I've had some samples done on a Traeger...excellent way to grill.