Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of round on Weber Kettle help needed.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I'm at the cottage, miles from my beloved BGE and I have to cook an eye of round roast on a weber kettle. Steak was crazy expensive and these were on sale but I'm now not sure how to proceed.

Should I cut steaks and marinate them to try to get some tenderness into them, cook whole to med rare at most and serve as regular roast beef or try something else. I am limited in what I have to work with. If I was at home I would cook rare, shave on the meat slicer, dunk in au jus and serve on buns but I haven't got ingredients for jus or buns or even horseradish. Really roughing it.

Give me your advice please. In particular how to cook this thing if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    A buddy of mine made these on his Traeger.  They were very good.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Do it as a roast like pit beef, slice thin. Try reverse sear of just hot and fast. Done a few on my kettles, they come out good.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do as a roast and slice. Pull at 125 degrees. Sear first or later makes no difference on a kettle you have a hot side either way. If its still wrapped I would hot tub it and try to keep the water around 110 for 2 hours so its not on the grill for hours drying out.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options

Do you have a thermometer of any sort???

I Agree to do a reverse sear.

Bank the coals on one side of the kettle, and put the meat on the other side.
    Rotate every 10 minutes or so.

Once it gets to 115-120 (for Medium Rare), take it off, spread the coals, and sear it
    - You could go Caveman at this point and would probably get better results w a hotter fire.

Good luck

Weber's are fine for certain things. Could be worse.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Webers are fine for everything they just take more attention for some cooks. I ate really good BBQ at the Atlanta BBQ competition that was cooked in a old school metal garbage can. It was as good as the multiple thousand dollar set ups they just did alot more work.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

Do you have a thermometer of any sort???
    I'm on vacation so of course I have my Thermopen :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.