Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Dutch Oven - what size?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can get the Lodge 5, 7 or 9 qt. Cast-Iron Covered Dutch Oven with Spiral Handle at the local Gambles store. Which one do I need? He has to order it for me on Monday. He carries the 5 quart w/o the spiral handle, but not the 7 or 9. That spiral thing must add a lot to the cost.[p]I see in a search that Target has the Lodge (w/o spiral handle?) available. We don't have a Target, but if T carries them, so might Walmart? Anyone know? I'm guessing the 7 qt is the oven of choice amongst you eggers? [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    MidMag7,
    The 7 qt. is a good size for the large egg. Big enough for makin pulled beef or pot roasts and stews. The 5 qt. is good for chili and BBQ beans. See my post Pot-o-beans, that's a No.10(5qt.)Lodge camp oven. Get both sizes and your covered.
    Good luck,
    Clay

• MidMag7,[p]Here is a link to the Lodge site if you want to campare sizes and prices.[p]http://www.lodgemfg.com/[p]Just curious... but why do you need one with the spiral
    handle?

[ul][li]Lodge[/ul]
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P10100292.jpg
    <p />MidMag7,[p]
    I use the 5 qt. size to do Bergoos and Chilis on the Small Egg.[p]If you have a Large, the 7 qt. size would work too, but I like the[p]relationship of the 5 qt. to the Small!![p]It fits in real cozy, and allows for a even simmer.[p]P10100322.jpg

Guava Smoked Chili... that's what I'm talkin' bout!!!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby,[p]When's dinner? What's your address?
  • Chubby
    Options
    MidMag7,[p]I'll hold'er till you get to Texas!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby,[p]I'm on my way!
  • K_sqrd,[p]ZOWIE! The 7 qt is almost $20.00 more on the Lodge site than from my local store. Guess I'll order it here.[p]I don't particularly need one with the spiral, but that's the only 7 qt the store has - and looks like that's all Lodge offers on this site. I'd actually prefer the handles, but apparently that isn't offered in the 7 quart either. Picky, eh wot?
  • ClayQ,[p]I saw that, which is what reminded me that I have to order a pot today to get it next week. Drooled all over my keyboard!
  • Chubby
    Options
    MidMag7[p]Check Amazon.com...the had a great prices on them...with no shipping thru Christmas...[p]I bought a 5qt (for a gift) for 24.99!! N/s[p]HTH.[p]Evans
  • Chubby,[p]Man, that looks like some good eatin' right about now! 40º outside, broken heater in the house.... brisk 61º for now, sure it'll drop into the lower 50'sº this evening!
    Gonna share that recipe with us? [p]You're the man!

• Chubby
    Options
    P10100042.jpg
    <p />David Thomas,[p]
    Thanks![p]First...go get that heater fixed!![p]I used kenny G's recipe,(available here)...added a bit of honey, and substituted some ground Red and Green Cherimoya chiles from Lawn Ranger for the Pasillas. Additionally...I fire roasted ans peeled Red Bell Peppers and added in once on the Egg.[p]I used Ground Chuck/Sweet Itallian sausage in a 3to 1 ratio.[p]Guava wood for a light, subtle smoke flavor.[p]P10100202a.jpg[p]1 1/2 hour on a slow bubble.[p]This is my first time smoking a soup or stew....it won't be my last!!

• Chubby,[p]I did that, and that's where I learned they send from Target. The price at Gambles is the same as A.com. Ah, but if the 5 qt is only $25, it would be worth it to order that one from there. [p]I found a weather station at A.com that was half the price of Cabela's, had already ordered from C and am returning it. The other one is on its way to my son-in-law.

• Bluegillman
    Options
    Chubby,
    Did u remove the top rack as I can see it missing and did u add something to hold the Dutch Oven just above the fire? How much lump did u use? Dutch Oven cookings is my favorite and using it on the green egg.

• Chubby
    Options
    Bluegillman,[p]Yes...as you stated the top rack is removed.[p]I am using the "FireRing" from the GrateMates set-up.[p]I also will accomodate a 12" Wok and holds the 8" Deep dish Pizza Pan from BGE... wich doubles as a wonderful PlateSetter for the Small!![p]If you have a Small Egg...(I think),they would be well worth your time to check out.[p]Evans[p]
    [ul][li]GrateMates Information[/ul]