Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where did I go wrong with my turbo butt smoke?

Options
8lb butt roast like I always buy. Cooked at 350 until IT 200. Looks really good and bone pulled right out... I started pulling it and found some parts, almost half of it actually, not pullable... It was coming off in chunks instead of strands. Also, the outside had spots that were hard and beginning to almost dry out.. It was my worst smoke by a longshot. What do you think went wrong? And teltru was calibrated 2 weeks ago

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have not had good luck with turbo cooking to 200 with no foil. The bark always burns. I have not had the issue with it not pulling though I am guessing you may not have taken temp in all areas or just not a good shoulder. I always foiled when I was going to pull it but recently I did a turbo but pulled it at 185 degrees and chopped it. The bark was perfect at 185 and chopping is my new go to for pork. Faster cook and just as good if not better than low and slow pulled.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i did one last weekend to 200 with no foil. my temps where just a little lower at 300/325 for the duration. i did discard a little burnt bark, and i chopped as well. my plan was to foil but it looked good right to the end. i find the overnight low and slow easier but the turbo can be practical time wise if i have the time to sit there watching it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Sounds to me like all 3 of you did your turbos direct - right? I always go indirect and I never foil and I never have burnt spots.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Options
    Nope did indirect. I have ruined several trying again thinking my thermometer may not have been calibrated. I told my parents to try it years ago after I saw it posted here and before I had tried it and they were not happy with me they threw it away cause it was burnt. Even the one I did last weekend would have been burnt by the time it hit 200 internal but at 185 the bark was perfect.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sounds to me like all 3 of you did your turbos direct - right? I always go indirect and I never foil and I never have burnt spots.

I agree with RRP. I did two on the 5th between 300 to 350 indirect, but foiled at 165 to try something different. Both were great. Next time I am going to foil one and not foil one to compare better.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • carolinakid
    Options
    Lower temp like 300 to 325 works best for me. No foil, I like the bark.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:
    i did it indirect, stone on the spider, butt up on the adjustable rig, just a little too crunchy on the bottom side. may be do to boneless butt with extremely little fat cap, i had the cap down. was no big deal, the dog was there for his treat
    :D  my thermos are pretty much toast as well but the cook went fine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Exactly why I do L&S in my opinion Turbo doesn't come close............let the arguments begin LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Lower temp like 300 to 325 works best for me. No foil, I like the bark.
    I agree.  Right around 300 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
    NOLA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Everyone needs to do what works for them.  L&S works and if you have the time is great.  I have trouble finding the time to get in a turbo cook, and we loves our pulled pork.  I've never had a problem with a turbo butt.  Keep it simple - 350 indirect until done - somewhere between 203 and 205.  No foil, no ftc: simple.  In my experience they are unpredictable as far as the timing.  Also the size needs to be correct or the outside will be toast before the core is done.  I try to get around 6 lb. butts.  If you need more, you can do multiple 6 pounders.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Exactly why I do L&S in my opinion Turbo doesn't come close............let the arguments begin LOL
    I agree ... sort of.  For the most part I have abandoned the 16-20 hour overnight cooks at 225.  I like starting at 7-8am, and cooking around 280-290 for about 8 hours.  Best part is I can play with the temp so that the meat will come off about an hour before dinner ... which means I can skip the bark killing trip to the cooler.
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    RRP said:

I did indirect
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Go 350, wrap at 165, juicy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Options
    I think tksmoke may be right on the size. I always do 8-9 pounders which would explain the burning.
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    edited July 2014
    Options
    275* - 290* for 8-9 hrs is the only way I'll do my butts from now on.  You can start it at 0800 (not too early for the weekend) and chow by no later than 1730.  However I have cut back on the amount of sugar in my rub, at those temps the bark tends to get bitter from the burnt sugar.  No foil and pulls perfectly.
    Jax, FL