Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Q Barbecue

Options
DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
I went to Q barbecue in southern Virginia last week.  I was really excited because I have never been.  Have wanted to try it since hearing of it and seeing Tuffy on Pitmasters.  I couldn't believe it.  It was so bad.  Very dry and tasteless.  I had the pulled pork and the brisket.  The mac n cheese was very good though.  Obviously, I know that Tuffy wasn't cooking it but he should get his name off of that product.  I have become a BBQ snob since getting my egg.  I feel like no store puts in the effort that I do....At least in my area of the world.  Maybe it was just a bad day for the pitmaster.... 
Chester, MD

Comments

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I seldom buy BBQ anymore, as I can fix it as good or better than I can buy it...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I think that when the owners start doing a whole lot of traveling and competing, the quality in the restaurant goes down.

Big Bob Gibson's here in Decatur is supposed to be a world famous BBQ joint, and it is terrible.  I can't eat his pork, but is turkey is ok.  There are some great places around here though that the owners still do the cooking.

Maybe it's just that good quality help is hard to find.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DIAD. Real sorry to hear you had a bad experience there. Felt like I had to hop in here with a different perspective since nobody would go there if they read your review.  I've known Tuffy for right about 10 years now, and he worked tirelessly to find the best way to do the hardest thing…hold and time serving meat that has to cook for a long time, and served all day. He is one of the most particular people you will ever meet, and his staff understands his expectations. What you had was one bad day it sounds like. If you know Tuffy, you'd know he would take your review and learn as much as he could from it. He's that passionate about his business.

Next time, and I hope you give it another chance, the wings and ribs are out of this world. All of the sides are stellar, and the beer selection is amazing.and he has paired only beers that go well with his food. 

Cheers, and better luck next time!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Come to Texas and you'll have the opposite problem - realizing how far away you actually are from BBQ greatness.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    GreenhawK, try Chuckwagon on the Decatur Hwy across from Huntsville airport. Tex puts out the real deal. His briskets look alive. Ribs are consistently sublime!