Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about drip pan placement.

Options
Seems like most of the pictures I see here show the drip pan sitting directly on the platesetter.I've been placing mine on the grate with the v-rack sitting IN the drip pan. On long cooks the drip pan directly on the platesetter turns the pan into a charred mess. I'm starting with a good amount of liquid in the pan whether it be straight fruit juice or a juice/vinegar/seasoning mix. Should I be adding more liquid as the cook progresses to keep the pan from "drying out"?

Comments

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Options
    I always line with foil then just discard
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I use 3 pennies in each corner to keep an air space between the plate setter and the pan. This keeps the drippings from burning. I also line my pan with heavy duty foil for easy clean up.

BTW, I never use liquid in my drip pans.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It depends on what I am cooking. For wings, I use a circular drip pan that sits directly on my platesetter. For pull pork, I use a foil pan that sits on the cooking grate. The v-rack sits in the foil pan. I sometime use water, other times I don't. Typically, I add some water early in the cook and add some more later toward the end of the cook if there is too much char in the pan.

Options

Options
    If you expect only minimal drippings then you can just line the platesetter the foil for ease of clean-up after.  If cooking a meat with lots of fat rendering, then you should elevate the drip pan off the platesetter so the drippings don't burn.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I use the BGE feet to create a space between the PS and pan. You can buy flowerpot feet fro HD or Lowes for the same thing. You can ball up some tin foil to do the same.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I "borrowed" a cake cooling rack from the kitchen that I put between the drip pan and the platesetter.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• wylievol
    wylievol Posts: 15
    Options

To quote Jimmy Buffet from Gods Own Drunk, "It was so simple, like the jitterbug it plum evaded me" ! The spacers seem like the answer. Thanks all.

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    I like the looks of using the v rack like that, don't my first pork butt tonight , might give that a try. Seems to me it would make it much easier to work with the finished product.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM