Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kimuura Yaki Kamado Grill (the pre-BGE?)...

Options
Greetings all! I am new to the forum and need some help with a grill I bought over the weekend. It stands about 31" tall and has an 18" cooking surface. The name on the handle of the grill grate tool says "Kimuura Yaki Kamado." I bought it from an estate sale. The story is that the previous owner visited Hawaii in the 1960's & saw a grill like this. When he came home he ordered this one. My research indicates that this was the precursor of the BGE & unlike the BGE (being made of ceramic), this grill may be made of clay and is prone to cracking during high heat cooking. I paid $200 for it. It's in great shape with no cracks & no significant rust. I am curious as to whether cracking could be an issue? What would be the value of this grill? I am considering selling it to purchase a BGE. Thanks to all who may be able to assist me!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have had 3  original kamados in my lifetime.  Bought the first in SE Asia in '68 It lasted about 5 years until I moved and it was dropped by the mover.   in the last 5 years I have bought 2 kamados from estate sales also and did some restoring to them.  When I use them I keep the temp under 375F or so.  I also have 3 BGEs so high temp cooks just get done on them. Welcome to EGGland.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    You know the warranty didn't transfer to you... :)
    Kemah, TX
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Sweet find, I know that this method off cooking dates when back in the Japanese history.  I would love to find one for myself.  Share some cooks with us EGGheads.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Welcome! 
    What a great find. Enjoy it with care. The clay will last a long time if the fires are kept small and the temps low. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Cool find!  I was just able to cook on one of those about 3 weeks ago.  Be careful with that handle as they had not quite nailed the concept of not burning your fingers and knuckles yet.  I was also told that some of the handles will have numbers on them that signify production number or production run, but cannot validate that.  
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Score!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Man, that looks just like my BGE except for the finish! Is the BGE a clone of this?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Man, that looks just like my BGE except for the finish! Is the BGE a clone of this?

LOL... You didn't think the egg was an Ed Fisher original, did you?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2014
    Options

LOL... You didn't think the egg was an Ed Fisher original, did you?
    I thought he copied it from Richard Johnson

I included sarcasm tags but they aren't rendering or displaying.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker