Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help with Gluten Free Cooking

Options

I'm having some friends over and I just found out one of them has a gluten free diet. Please review my menu and let me know if I'm using an ingredient that I shouldn't. Thanks so much.

Pasta salad will be gluten free pasta (anyone have a favorite brand), veggies, peperoni, parmesan cheese (pre-shredded) and marzetti Italian dressing

Potato salad will be using hellmann's original recipe (typical ingredients including mayo)

Ribs. I will have 2 racks with texas bbq champion blend rub and 2 racks will have mickeys coffee rub. Half way thru, I will foil the ribs with butter and honey in the foil. I will finish them with sweet baby rays original sauce.

Bacon wrapped mushrooms. These will be coated with franks hot wing sauce

typical melon fruits cut up

Will this menu work? Sorry but this will be my first time and I want everything to be done correctly.

Thanks, BG

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Gluten mostly comes from grains but many things are made with grains and their derivatives.  Looks like you're ok, although I'm no expert.  If you live in Canada, all food must be labeled if it contains > 10ppm gluten.
    Options
    my wife is gluten free, and its a doozy at first but pretty easy.  nearly every label has the allergens so look for wheat there because it is the primary cause.  

We like Brown Rice Penne from trader joes for pasta and use it almost exclusively.  There are some corn based pastas that are good.  

Watch the preshredded cheese usually there are additives so the cheese doesn't stick, i would just buy a block and shred my self (it tastes better anyways).  

Sweet baby rays is good to go and you should be solid.  There are some good gluten free cornbread mixes out there that might be enough to take this menu over the top if you want to serve a bread of sorts. 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

My Wife's Gluten Free as well - the items you'll have to check the ingredient list on your menu here would definitely be the Pre-Shredded cheese, maybe the peperonni (it shouldn't have any fillers, but check the label to be sure), and the sweet baby rays (I've never used/read that label either).

For the GF pasta, my wife likes tinkyada best - look for pink/gold packages.  Another idea for this one, as a lot of GF folks are quite opinionated on which pasta's best; I don't know the relationship you've got with the person in question - but you could either ask them which brand they like best and where they get it, or even ask them if they could bring the pasta themselves (you'll cook it and make salad) that way they're sure it's safe to eat.

Essentially, the "pre-done" stuff should have a close eye kept on them; when my Wife went GF, we were absolutely floored by how much crap is in stuff. 

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    My wife has crohn's and I'm in the same boat. For pasta, we do Quinoa pasta made my Ancient Harvest.  Don't do quinoa grains, you can find the preformed pasta w/ ground quinoa.  The rest can be tricky.  If they are just on the Gluten Free diet, just make sure there isn't any whey or any wheat/flour products that aren't Whole Grain and you should be good.  Now if they have an allergy to processed gluten/gmo'd products you might be in a pickle.  
  • BRush00
    Options
    Griff2w2 said:
    If they are just on the Gluten Free diet, just make sure there isn't any whey or any wheat/flour products that aren't Whole Grain and you should be good.  

Whey is milk protein; and gluten free.  What you may be thinking of are certain Whey protein powders - which do contain glutamine products/fillers.  

Whole Grain contains gluten; do not feed to your gluten free guest.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have not thought of this stuff till wife went gluten free. She will not eat 2/3 of the products marked gluten free after reading the ingredients listing. This is the only thing I am sure of: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BRush00
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Have not thought of this stuff till wife went gluten free. She will not eat 2/3 of the products marked gluten free after reading the ingredients listing. This is the only thing I am sure of:

=)) - too funny @Mickey - you and me both.  Even though it's gluten free, there's enough extra stuff they add to similate gluten that it puts my Wife off too. 

And funny thing - I suggested she pick up a T-bone or porterhouse tomorrow night at the butcher for dinner!  =))

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    That's a freaking gorgeous porterhouse @Mickey‌
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That's a freaking gorgeous porterhouse @Mickey‌

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Is that the 36oz or 48oz?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @bigguy136‌ first off let me start by saying myself and my family have been eating GF for over 3 years. By the looks of it your menu looks safe. As someone suggested many GF eaters are partial to a certain pasta so asking what they like is an excellent idea. Walmart carries one that we really like harvest ????? Something. As stated above SBR sauce is good with the exception of their golden wing sauce ( for the gluten eaters out there look for this sauce I have fallen off the wagon before and had it. It was AWSOME. I found it at RD). Good luck and as Mickey said just look at package and stay away from the grains and flours.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You've been eating Girl Friends for over 3 years?!
    edited July 2014
    Options