Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations for pool builder in Raleigh, NC?

Options
Daughter diagnosed recently with Type 1 Diabetes. Her numbers are waaaaaay better on days when she is exercising. She is a competitive swimmer and is at practice 4-5 days a week. On off days and during breaks it would be awesome for her to be able to exercise under our supervision in the backyard. My wife swims 5 days a week as well at the YMCA in the winter and local community pool in the summer. About 16x40 would allow for her to step out anytime and swim without having to drive.

I am evaluating fiberglass vs vinyl and leaning fiberglass. I looked at concrete but quickly ruled that out since apparently the concrete companies locally substitute diamonds for limestone in their mix. FREAKING 50k and up for a basic 14 x 28 with little decking, no upgrades and entry level equipment. RIDIC!!

Anyway, anyone have any opinions to share on their pools? What they love, hate, wish they could do over, etc? Anyone in Raleigh or surrounding area that can recommend a builder?

Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    If just for lap work look into 'swim x' or endless pools'.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Can't recommend any in your area, but when we lived in south central Michigan, we had a 16x32 in ground.  (Generally the length on a rectangular is double the width.  I think std sizes are 16x32, 18x36, 20x40)  Ours had steel sidewalls with the bottom and tapered sides made of a material called poolbase (a mixture of concrete and vermiculite which the installer mixed up in a cement mixer with water then troweled on the ground.  Inside the steel and poolbase we had a vinyl liner.  I would presume that you could go deeper than the normal 3' in your shallow end to allow for flip turns.  Loved it.  No problems.  I think we had it for about 8 years before we sold the house and moved.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    A good resource for installers might be your local pool supply store.  If they do both sales and installation, hang out in the parking lot and ask folks who installed theirs.  Maybe do that at more than one pool supply store.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited July 2014
    Options
    As a competitive swimmer (long time ago) I'd offer these thoughts...

You may be able to find swim teams working out more often.  Serious competitive swimmers are working out 6 days a week with 6-9 sessions a week.  We'd workout Mo,We,Fr twice a day, and Tu,Th, Sa once a day.  Breaks?  We would do 11 workouts a week during XMAS break.  We would get a 2-3 weeks off at the end of the summer season ... and by that time you needed it.

Swimming alone is hard.  Especially when your're young.  I could never really do it.

Training in anything less than a 25 yd. pool was frustrating and nearly pointless.

It's a great sport, and exercise is a key part of managing diabetes. Good luck.