Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Travis method + Mickey's coffee rub) x first time brisket =

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
Here's the before pic. First brisky. Went small 6 lbs flat as my first. Will post progress.
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• JethroVA
    Options

Man, it cooked fast at 300. Shoulda expected that due to the small size / flat, not full packer.  Probing nicely at 205 degrees after only 5 hours.  Time to FTC til dinner. Will post comments on moistness, tenderness and flavor later.  If it works, will have to step up and do the full packer.  Then (gulp) I'll have to do a true low & slow all niter so I can join that exclusive club.

Had about a pint of the marinade and onion mixture left over. Gonna put in the fridge, skim off the grease later, cut it with chicken stock and red wine and make some gravy.

I'm using the residual heat in the egg to bake some potatoes.

p.s. gotta love work from home days!

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Update: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try this at home using your wife's best Pyrex. (out of disposable aluminum pans) Took me 15 minutes off steel wooling to restore it to its pristine condition. Whew, thought I was gonna be banished to Lackonookie Island for a week.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mighty fine lookin' vittles thar Jethro.  I reckon ya ain't gonna use that fine glass pan again after scrubbin it like dog in a skunk patch.
    Options
    Ha Ha.. been there done it. Great looking result..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing the results
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Update: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT try this at home using your wife's best Pyrex. (out of disposable aluminum pans) Took me 15 minutes off steel wooling to restore it to its pristine condition. Whew, thought I was gonna be banished to Lackonookie Island for a week.
    Love it, I made smoked mac n cheese like a month after getting the egg in our French white corningware.  will never do that again!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I never used in the Egg. But have had two bust in the oven. I am told it is not what it was 30 years ago. Very nice cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JethroVA
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Results: FTC'd in a smaller dish with some cooked marinade in it (not all of it). In the FTC for 4 hours (a bit too long - temp was 130 at carving time). Family loved it.  I think it was a bit over cooked / slightly dry as I let the thick part get to 205 which meant the thin parts were well beyond that. The bark was good and was moist due to extended FTC.  Left over braising liquid was too strong to be used by itself as gravy or board sauce but I cut it with chicken stock and red wine and added corn starch to make a good gravey for the taters.  Pic looks a bit mangled but the family loves to stand around and pick at the parts of the "beast of the day" as appetizers.  Edit: why is pic upside down? Mine original is fine.
  • JethroVA
    Options
    Bad pic karma today. Looks like my pre-cook pic disappeared.  Reattaching...
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Next time for the pan - Oven Off, 1/2 an hour, soak overnight then dishwasher - no elbow grease required. Lackonookie Island over the horizon!!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Now thats funny! My wife and just that this discussion about me using either her Le Cruset or Staub
    cast iron in the egg! Probably not a good idea.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR