Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fisrt Overnight Cook on the Egg

Options
horoegg
horoegg Posts: 47
I've had the egg for just about a year now and I thought it was about time I tried an overnight cook on it.  I wanted to do brisket, but when I went to Whole Foods to pick up the meat they only had grassfed and it looked way too lean.  So I went for the bone-in shoulder. 

I put my rub on the butt and wrapped it up and put it in the fridge for 5 hours while I waited for go time.  Loaded up the egg to the top of the fire ring with RO starting with big pieces on the bottom and working my way up mixing in chunks of 75% apple and 25% Hickory.  Got the egg fired up and up to 250, threw butt on at around 11:00 PM.  At first the temp spiked up to 280 so I adjusted the vents and slowly brought it down.  Was stable at 260 at around 1:00 am so I went to sleep.  Woke up (naturally, I sent an alarm but didn't need it) at 3, 5, 6:30, and 8 to check on the cook and the temp didn't budge. I guess I should have trusted it, but I've never done the overnight thing and I had 10 people to feed lunch to the next day and didn't want to take any chances. 

Opened the egg for the first time at 9:00 am and checked the temp with my thermapen and it was at 185.  Ran a few errands and came back at noon and checked again and it was at exactly 200 so I pulled it and FTCed it.  At 2:30 when we were ready to eat I unwrapped it and shredded it.  It was so tender that the butchers twine that was wrapped around it (came that way) cut right through the meat when I pulled up on it and the bone came right out clean.  I then drizzled it with some apple cider vinegar and tossed the meat in some Pork Barrel BBQ Sauce (usually make my own, but didn't have time and this sauce it fantastic).  Served it with some homemade coleslaw and some fresh baked rolls.  The pork was a HUGE hit with my family and I will certainly be doing more overnight cooks in the future. 

I ate the pork for two more meals the next day.  For breakfast I had a pulled pork egg and cheese and then I had another pulled pork sandwhich for lunch.  I just can't get enough of it! 

Thank you to everyone on here for posting your experiences, advice, and photos.  It is a huge help for a newbie! 

Comments

• JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    Options
    Beautiful cook. I have had my egg two weeks and done two overnight butts. Amazingly forgiving piece of meat
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great. Welcome.
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @horoegg‌ Looks great! Nice 1st L&S. FWIW no need for FTC if there's only a 30minute-2hr time span on a butt (it won't hurt it by doing a FTC but, it's not necessary and you'll find the bark gets a lil bit soft by doing that). However, I like to FTC a brisky at least 2 hrs before serving it.
    Again fan-freakin-tastic looking butt man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Options
    NPHuskerFL Thanks for the tips.  Will it stay hot for up to 2 hours after pulling it without the FTC?  I wasn't sure exactly when we were going to eat and it ended it up being around 2 1/2 hours after pulling it so it was nice to have it come out of the cooler nice and hot.  I will definitely keep that in mind for the future though.  If not FTCing, I should still give it a 30 min rest right?  Should it be rested in foil or just out is fine? 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @horoegg‌ Sorry on the delay of game response. ;)

I was ALWAYS on the FTC camp side. Butt pulled at 195℉-205℉ and placed w/out foil or towel in a microwave, oven or cooler shouldn't have an issue holding a "hold safe" temp of 135+℉. And on a butt no need for a rest you can start pulling/shredding it immediately (just make sure everybody is ready to eat because once you pull it apart it will lose moisture etc). Again "Brisket" definitely benefits from the FTC rest. OBW this was taught to me (@Carolina Q‌)as well so there ya go my friend :-).
    Note: if it's gonna be several hours yes FTC to keep IT. But one or even 2.5 hrs is NP.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jwinn44
    Jwinn44 Posts: 49
    Options
    FTC means what exactly?  I am guessing Foil tent covered?  am i anywhere close?
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Yer batting .333. Foil Towel Cooler ;)