Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help With 4lbs. Pork Butt

Options
mb99zz
mb99zz Posts: 183
Hello Friends,

I put a 4lbs.butt on the egg this morning exactly at 8:00am.  We have friends coming over around 5:30 and my hope was that the butt would be done by 4:00 PM (2 hrs per pound x 4lbs.) so that I could FTC it for an hour or so.  My temp at the grate for the first couple of hours was around 230.  I started to think that may be too high and backed her down to about 220.  At about 11:30 or so I think I hit the stall with the meat temp hovering at 158 degrees for over an hour.  The IT temp then slid back to 156 deg.  Now it's down to 151.  I bumped the temp of the grate up to 250 in the hopes of eating sometime today :)   All along my biggest fear was finishing way too soon.  Now I'm worried we won't eat this for dinner and I may need to run out and find an alternative for our visitors. 

Anyone have thoughts?  Am I cooking too low?  Is this normal?  

Thanks!!!!

MB

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I put 2-9 pounders on at around 10:30 at 297° and now my Egg is at 261° and the internal temp is 133. I'm shooting for it to be done around 5. Pork can handle higher heat and I didn't want to get up early on my birthday today. On FTC, I have done it for 4 hour's on a brisket and it was still hot when I sliced it. If you have to the bark may got a little soft, but if you are doing pulled pork it shouldn't matter. Good luck. Here are mine.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Butts are quite forgiving-you can dial it up to 300*F or more to punch it home.  And if that doesn't work, foil to get to the finish-line.  Best finish-line indicator with a butt is when the bone pulls clean.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    My last butt was almost 9 lbs, indirect @ 350 and took about five hours.  Crank up the temp and push it through the stall.  @195 FTC   Works for me, they fall apart.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.