Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flanken Style Beef Short-ribs - Light Smoke

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
Tried out beef flanken ribs on the BGE this afternoon. Nice and tender, with a light smoke and a good crust. This is a very simple recipe with limited prep time required!

For the rib marinade (8 sizeable flanken ribs) I combined a cup of dark soy sauce, 1/4 cup kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), 2 tbsp mirin and 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil. I gave the ribs a good rub with some bone sucking BBQ rub seasoning (my favorite store bought variety) and put them all in a glass dish (single layer), turning them several times in the prepared marinade which I poured all over. Into the fridge for 20 minutes while I got on with the fire

I prepped a hardwood charcoal fire for 250 degree heat then added a good handful of presoaked (20 minutes) hickory chips and whiskey barrel chips. I then put on the plate setter (legs up) and the grill grate on top and closed the lid to heat through. To keep the temperature constant I found keeping the bottom slider door 1/4" open and the top holes about halfway open.

When ready, I added the ribs directly onto the grate and closed the lid, gently smoking them for 30 mins. A quick flip and another 30 mins and they were ready for a final sear

A quick brush with BBQ sauce and 2 minutes on each side over a 600 degree gas grill (I keep both for convenience for things like this), a 10 minute rest on a dish loosely tented with foil and that's all she wrote!! Finished article pics here

Comments