Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9lb butt overnight - looking good so far

Options
EggHead_Bubba
EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
Injected the butt with a mixture of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Applied generous amount of rub and then let it sit in the fridge for 3 hours. 

Loaded the BGE with BGE lump and 2 large chunks of hickory and cherry each at started her up. BGE stable at 250, butt went on fat cap down at 10:30PM last night. Since the four chunks were a few inches away from where I started the BGE, smoking commenced around 11:00PM. Woke up at 3AM to check, rock solid at 250... woke up at 6AM, slight increase to 260 and internal temp at 177. Now, at 10AM... dome steady at 260 with internal temp at 185.

Going to let this puppy get to 200 internal and then put it in a cooler until pulling time this afternoon. I'll post pics when it's done.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I have found that the best pork butt finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean-and that is generally around the temp you mention or a few degrees higher.  FWIW-  Happy Birthday USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I agree with the bone pull method... I'll be checking it once it gets to 195.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    14-hour cook and butt is ready to pull and put in the cooler. Internal temp was 196 and the bone pulled nice and clean.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Ready, set, go...looks like a banquet waiting for a place to happen!  Most eggcellent-enjoy the eats!  Happy Birthday USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Beautiful bark.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.