Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp wont come down

Options
Okay I have cooked over 20 pork butts in the 3+ years I have had my egg.  I prefer to do it low and slow for about 20 hours at 210/220.  I use a cyber Q to hold the temp.  Well after lighting it, I left the top open on accident and the temp climbed to 280.  after realizing it it completely closed the top as i normally would.  The egg held at 280 for almost four hours and would not come down.  The cyber q fan never kicked on so it is not a problem with that.  I finally took the butt off for a few hours as to not over cook it.  Put it back on at about 2 am and egg was still at 270.  At 10:00 this morning it was steady at 210.  At 12:00 i checked and it was almost out of charcoal so i added some more, about halve of the fire box.  20 minutes later it was up to 275 again and would not come down.  It still looks like it should and is ok, but I can't figure out why all of the sudden i am running so hot and cant get it down.  Any ideas?

Comments

• double_ds
    double_ds Posts: 39
    Options
    I use RO lump, I completely cleaned out egg a few weeks ago and my topper is a smoke stack topper instead of the daisy wheel.  my seal on the back is coming off some but has not really been an issue like this.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    About all I can say is that you got the BGE ceramics hot and once that happens it takes forever to lower the temp.  Couple that with trying to get down to 210*F and you are in for a long ride.  If you almost ran out of fuel at a much earlier cook time than usual, then you consumed it at a much higher rate.  So, you were getting more air into the BGE than you needed for the desired temp or your dome thermo is out of calibration and you were well above 280*F to start-thus the more rapid consumption.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Orthobear
    Orthobear Posts: 84
    Options
    I've had this happen to me on my last couple cooks. One thought is that I might have a slight opening at the top of my lower vent that could be allowing unwanted air flow. I use a digiQ and during my last couple of cooks the temp overshot and never would come down. Fan pretty much was non existent. Sounds like you're having the same issue. We may have an air leak somewhere.
    Houston, TX
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    You lost me at Double D's. >:)
  • wrx_02
    wrx_02 Posts: 19
    Options
    I once left the top open for to long, with the electrical starter connected. I came out to a melted electrical handle and about 400 degrees. I shut it down and had issues cooking at below 350. It was a constant close all the vents, then barley crack them open. 

I am familiar with my egg and RO and where the daisy wheel and bottom vent need to be open to for 250. I think too many lump was started and that is why the temp was so high. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Shut the daisy wheel all the way and let the fan force air in. You may have had the bottom fan damper open too much also.
    Options
    well i just took it off and is now wrapped and in cooler, it should be ok but will know in a few hours.  Seems like a good excuse to replace my gasket.  will start a new thread on suggestions for what to use.  thanks.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options

If you don't have any obvious air-leaks (smoke leakage) and you pass the dollar bill test then your gasket is fine.  It will need replacing at some point and your new thread will give you some choices. BTW-pork butts are about the most forgiving cook you can do on a BGE so as long as you are good with the finish-line when you pulled them  then you should have great eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.