Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket fat cap up or down using plate setter on XL

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Smoking my first brisket this weekend, Is there any difference when smoking a brisket fat up or down with the platesetter? I will be cookiing at 225-235 grid temp, no injection, just salt and pepper rub. May or may not add water to the drip pan.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I did fat cap up and no water pan on my first one and it turned out great. S&P rub, no injection, no foil/butcher paper. Good luck and I'm sure it'll turn out great!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I go up but you're not going to get an answer to your question as you'll get a 50/50 response from the board.

If this was a stick burner, you'd prolly get a near 100% response for up. I go up on the egg because there is a lot of heat reflection off the dome. Ultimately, I've done both and you'll get similar results going up or down.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I did fat up for a long time but switched to fat down about two months ago.

Over the years I occasionally get a hard crust on the bottom of my brisket. Doing fat down protects from that.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    XL plate setter - fat up
    Large plate setter - fat down
    XL woo - fat down
    Large woo - fat up
    XL AR - fat up
    Large AR - fat down
    Medium all configurations -fat down
    small all configurations except if Waygu - fat up

Hope this helps.
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Looks like Fat Up is the winner! I may wrap it in butcher paper mid way thru the cook depending on how it looks. That should protect the bark and keep the moisture in.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    To move the voting closer to 50-50; I go fat cap down for another heat protector and if anything sticks during the cook, it's the fat.  All that said, I don't think it makes any difference on the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I always go fat cap down.  But of the 20 or so Briskets I have made, only 2 have been really good with the others being just OK, so what do I know.   Like others have said - don't think it matters much on the Egg.
    XL BGE
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I go fat cap down. I feel like it helps protect the bottom from over cooking. 
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I always cook fat side down with great results.......check out this video

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @thailandjohn-learn something new every day-guess I was just lucky running with fat side down. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@thailandjohn

These guys are just down the road from me. Heard good things about them.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options

That's fine and dandy, but two of the best pitmasters I've ever met cook fat side up. If Aaron Franklin and John Lewis cook fat side up, that's all I need to know. Best brisket I've ever had in my life has come from them two...and most who've had their Q will say the same.

That being said, again, it doesn't matter on the egg. I've had insane results fat side up and many have had them fat side down. Who's right and who's wrong. On an egg, none of us...it does not matter.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Actually, I have been emailing Aaron Franklin regarding Brisket on the BGE. He suggested i might try fat side down on the egg to create a heat barrier for the meat.