Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about FTC

Options
I am trying to time out my boston butt cook on Friday.  My plan is for it to finish at 9 am and FTC until about 12.  What is the max time you can FTC an 8 lb butt? In case it finishes earlier in the morning.
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    I recently ftc'd a 10 lb butt around 7hours. Was still a little unpleasant to pull by hand.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    4 - hours would be the max I would leave it in

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As long as the product is holding a temp at or above 135℉ your fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    These are the same standards I must follow day in and day out on commercial restaurant repairs.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    As long as the product is holding a temp at or above 135℉ your fine.
    I would even say 130.  That's the magic number in the sous vide world.  It takes a while to kill everything at 130, but it will get there.  In this case, they're already dead and you're worried about new reproduction, so even better.  And, things don't suddenly become toxic when they cross over to 129.  We leave partially eaten steak out all the time for an hour or so and still nibble on it.  So, I would say down to 130, then +1 hour.  And that's probably conservative.

I've gone 4-6 hours and still had to wear insulated gloves to pull it without hurting my hands, so unless it's really extreme, you should be fine.  Toweling and putting it in the cooler really keeps it warm!
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I have done as long as 5 hours with no problem and try and time it to 1 to 2 hours for holding just to let the juices rest.

Chuck King

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com 

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    171 degrees after FTC for over 5 hours in the pic below. Closer to 6 hours. By far the easiest Butt to pull compared to my others.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2014
    Options
    You don't need to FTC for 3 hrs. Just tent it with something to keep the bugs off.