Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis Ribs First Go

Options
sofakingbald
sofakingbald Posts: 49
As a BGE noob, I love this forum and it's helped me avoid so many rookie mistakes. Yet, because I must be really slow, I can't get ribs down. Have tried baby back in a 3-2-1, spares in a 2-2-1, and now St. Louis in a turbo at 275 for ~2.5-3hrs. 

Each time, I followed directions closely. Each time, the ribs came out with an amazing flavor, fantastic color, but as dry as menopause. Was really disappointed in the turbo cook because I had an awesome applewood smoke, with a giant drip pan filled with applewood left over soak water resting on top of the PS. Only opened the lid once during the cook to drop a little Apple/Vinegar juice over the ribs. 

I'm determined. Any suggestions?
BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

@sofakingbald - What you did was not turbo ribs. Try this:

Turbo ribs are great, and they are easy.  I have never had one person say that they were less than excellent.  I highly recommend them for someone who is in the early stages of learning temp control on the egg.  Here's the drill:

• Trim ribs as necessary
    • apply light coating of rub
    • apply French's yellow mustard spread evenly with fingers to a thin coating
    • apply coating of rub and press in lightly
    • stabilize egg at 350 with smoking wood as desired, plate setter, drip pan (no liquid) raised with aluminum foil wads, and grill in place
    • Place ribs on the grill
    • set timer to 1 hour 45 minutes
    • leave it alone until timer goes off
    • Check (bend test or toothpick) - they will be done
    • apply sauce if desired for 15 - 20 minutes
    • amaze your friends

While there are as many ways to cook ribs as carter has pills, this one is so easy.  If followed without alteration, the ribs turn out excellent and you look like a star.  When you are just starting why make it complicated?

I just did this cook last night, and received the "best ribs I've ever had" endorsement again.  I use all sorts of rubs, and a variety of sauces - they always come out great. And 3 hours from start to finish is so much better than 6+..

Enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • sofakingbald
    Options
    tksmoke said:

@sofakingbald - What you did was not turbo ribs. Try this:

Turbo ribs are great, and they are easy.  I have never had one person say that they were less than excellent.  I highly recommend them for someone who is in the early stages of learning temp control on the egg.  Here's the drill:

• Trim ribs as necessary
    • apply light coating of rub
    • apply French's yellow mustard spread evenly with fingers to a thin coating
    • apply coating of rub and press in lightly
    • stabilize egg at 350 with smoking wood as desired, plate setter, drip pan (no liquid) raised with aluminum foil wads, and grill in place
    • Place ribs on the grill
    • set timer to 1 hour 45 minutes
    • leave it alone until timer goes off
    • Check (bend test or toothpick) - they will be done
    • apply sauce if desired for 15 - 20 minutes
    • amaze your friends

While there are as many ways to cook ribs as carter has pills, this one is so easy.  If followed without alteration, the ribs turn out excellent and you look like a star.  When you are just starting why make it complicated?

I just did this cook last night, and received the "best ribs I've ever had" endorsement again.  I use all sorts of rubs, and a variety of sauces - they always come out great. And 3 hours from start to finish is so much better than 6+..

Enjoy!!

Incredibly helpful - thanks! Think we're cut from the same cloth re: 3 is better than 6+.

Sorry for the noob follow-up but two questions:
    1. What do you mean with foil wads? 
    2. Was told to pour some of the sauce in foil and wrap the ribs for 15 minutes after taking them off the grill. Is this what you're saying with "apply sauce if desired for 15-20 minutes"?

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Incredibly helpful - thanks! Think we're cut from the same cloth re: 3 is better than 6+.

2. Was told to pour some of the sauce in foil and wrap the ribs for 15 minutes after taking them off the grill. Is this what you're saying with "apply sauce if desired for 15-20 minutes"?
    1.  Take some aluminum foil and make balls our of them.  This will help get your drip elevated and prevent the drippings from burning.

2.  You can take that approach, but I would say most people who sauce apply the sauce directly to the ribs unfoiled for the last 15-20 min.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• sofakingbald
    Options

1.  Take some aluminum foil and make balls our of them.  This will help get your drip elevated and prevent the drippings from burning.

2.  You can take that approach, but I would say most people who sauce apply the sauce directly to the ribs unfoiled for the last 15-20 min.
    Got it, thanks saluki. Stoked to try again - entertaining some vets on the 4th and I don't want to let 'em down!

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    @tksmoke - do you follow this process for baby backs and spares?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited July 2014
    Options

@bodski -

I do it exactly the same for both.  Baby backs are normally done a little quicker, but truly not much different.  I would always plan on an extra hour with L&S. 

@sofakingbald -

I don't foil - I found it messed up the bark I'd worked so hard to build.  The beauty of turbo ribs is that they are easy, and they turn out great with no additional work.  When I sauce, I just slather them in sauce (I do both sides), and leave on the grill for another 15 - 20 minutes.  They come out so good, I haven't been even tempted to try only one side. 

Now all of this is not to say that you shouldn't feel free to experiment and use whatever techniques, rubs and sauces you like.  The GFU and I like spicy-hot.  I use Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust on the bone side, and a sweeter rub on the front. - last weekend I used Oakridge Dominator.  The sauce you use also is wide open, depending on the flavor profile you are after.  I frequently do 2 different profiles, because not everyone can eat spicy hot food.  I always ask what my guests preference is before I cook .  A lot of times when I make tame ribs, the folks who wanted them end up eating the spicy ones too.  They are all good!!!  I even love them cold as leftovers.

Santa Paula, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    3 hours is better than 6? Yeah right..less mancave and beer time. The wife thinks ribs take 16 hours to cook.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I do my turbo ribs a little different.  LBGE at 350 dome, indirect, legs up, drip pan with 50/50 mix of apple juice and water.  Place 4 chunks of peach wood on each side of the egg.  Ribs go on the grid flat bone side down for 1 hour.  Then I flipped them bone side up for 1 hour.  The flipping seems to help even out the color of the ribs. After the 2nd hour, I check the  drawback and if they passed the bend test.  Sauced with 50/50 mix of Blues Hog and Sonny's Sweet sauce.  Let them rest for about 15 mins and enjoyed.  So far, everyone has loved my ribs and they are usually single bite through tender.  We do not like the fall of the bone ribs here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I've tried everything and I think simple gave the best results. St Louis style, rubbed and on the grill indirect for 6hrs or until he passed the bend test. I sauced at 5.5 hrs and they were the best I've ever had. I don't think turbo renders the fat well enough or develops the bark enough.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • sofakingbald
    Options
    Awesome stuff, thanks guys. If they're worthy, I'll post some pics this weekend. I will master these.

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I started doing St. Louis awhile back and won't go back to baby backs. All I do is rub and smoke them at 270 until done. I rotate them front to back after 2 hours as my egg runs a little hotter towards the back. Check them after 3.5 hours bend test. Apply a little sauce on top and eat. Generally they are done after 3.5 to 4 hours. Meat pulls cleanly from the bone but still has a little chew to it. So simple and works for me.
    XL BGE