Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Snakehead

Options
Dcgriller
Dcgriller Posts: 15
Got some snakehead from a good fish shop. Super meaty, but delicious. Highly recommend it if you can find it. Salt and peppered it then cooked it on a cast iron with a bunch of butter. Direct 350. Delicious.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Snakehead? Species?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dcgriller
    Dcgriller Posts: 15
    Options
    It's an invasive species in the dc area. Fairly big problem for the Potomac. Tastes great.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Dcgriller‌ a problem fish that tastes delicious. Sounds like they need to put a bounty on them so they don't disturb the ecology anymore than they already have. Call it a CI Pan and fish fry party :-). Hopefully they can eliminate them before they do more damage. Where did this species come from and how did it get there (somebody's pet)?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Oops never mind. We have been unlucky enough to catch one of these. Ugly SOB. Surprise surprise they come from Asia and Africa. And although I've only caught 2 we didn't release it because we were told by FWC that happened to be there while we caught the first (@St. Johns side of Shands Pier last year) that they shouldn't be here. In fact he took that one with him. The second I caught was near the same area but, we didn't eat it. Hopefully they get this species under control or eliminated. But, I know elimination is damn near impossible.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited June 2014
    Options
    In south Florida we have Lionfish, which is an invasive fish that has over-run east coast reefs up through North Carolina.  It's wreaking havoc, but it is also delicious to eat.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Edit
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Cowdogs‌ I've heard about these from a friend down toward Vero Beach area. They're a pretty serious eco problem.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Nevermind
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    My brother caught a snakehead about two months ago and asked me if I wanted a piece. I said sure why not and tossed it in the freezer. He cooked his and told me he liked it more the rockfish (or if ur not from the mid Atlantic striped bass). My thought was no way. About three weeks ago I cooked my piece and it was great as @Dcgriller‌ said it is super meaty.

@NPHuskerFL‌ Maryland DNR was paying people to catch and kill them. They have since stopped, people were getting paid by DNR then selling to a select few restaurants that were serving it at the time. They were making good money. On a side note look up the fish it can live and travel out of the water hence the name.