Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to adjust Dome underbite?

Options
Larrymac
Larrymac Posts: 103
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
This is after new gasket was applied. Seal with a dollar bill is very tight in the back, but too loose with no friction whatsoever. You can see the actual underbite -- top of dome facing the front is maybe 1/8 to 1/16 withdrawn inside from being flush with the bottom. Obviously the top back is about the same distance to far back from being flush with the bottom.
What bolts or nuts on the back need to be loosened to make the adjustment? Do I need to put a zip tie to maintain the spring?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Be sure to either zip tie top and bottom together or remove springs before you start adjusting. Don't ask me how I know...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    This a particularly vexing problem.  I'm on my second set of rings, since I couldn't adjust the old ones in.  I did get the second set to align, but on a recent hot cook, it jumped to underbite.  I fixed it by loosening up the rings, pulling the bottom ring as high as it would fit on the base, and torquing the flat part of the spring assembly with an oversized crescent wrench.  I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, but it's what worked for me.  There don't seem to be any particular bolts that will pull it one way or another.  All the advice I've read just says loosen the bolts and push the top into place.  YMMV.  Good luck.
    Kemah, TX
  • Larrymac
    Options
    jllbms said:

This a particularly vexing problem.  I'm on my second set of rings, since I couldn't adjust the old ones in.  I did get the second set to align, but on a recent hot cook, it jumped to underbite.  I fixed it by loosening up the rings, pulling the bottom ring as high as it would fit on the base, and torquing the flat part of the spring assembly with an oversized crescent wrench.  I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, but it's what worked for me.  There don't seem to be any particular bolts that will pull it one way or another.  All the advice I've read just says loosen the bolts and push the top into place.  YMMV.  Good luck.

• Larrymac
    edited June 2014
    Options
    40 views 2 responses . I know it's not a sexy post, but suppose there's not a definite answer to this which is why responses are limited.
    I pretty much did what you did or said just before I got your response . Put zip ties to maintain the springs.
    I loosened all the hinge bolts and loosened the top band. Then sort of wrestled the top lid over the 1/8" I needed to line the the top with the bottom.
    Dollar bill was now a tighter fit all the way around. Tightened all bolts and bands. Removed zip ties.
    Hopefully it stays where it is. Can't understand how yours moved after a cook???? Thanks for your response .
  • jllbms
    Options
    Likely the bands expanded and slipped - this was at 700 - 800 range. I was doing a pizza cook and it got too hot. No more high temp pizza cooks! If you'll search on underbite here in the forum, you'll get a lot more information.
    Kemah, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Does an underbite make that much of a difference? I think I tried to correct mine a few times, then gave up. I can't say that it affects anything that I have been able to notice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jllbms
    Options
    Probably equally psychological, but the misalignment does expose more of the gasket to direct heat, leading to early wear.
    Kemah, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    If smoke is not billowing out I would not screw with it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    jllbms said:
    Probably equally psychological, but the misalignment does expose more of the gasket to direct heat, leading to early wear.
    True - with those wimpy gaskets! Rutlands laugh at those issues!
  • Larrymac
    Options
    caliking said:

Does an underbite make that much of a difference? I think I tried to correct mine a few times, then gave up. I can't say that it affects anything that I have been able to notice.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have a slight underbite but I pass the bill test. So I just left it.....
  • Larrymac
    Options
    Miked125 said:

I have a slight underbite but I pass the bill test. So I just left it.....

• Larrymac
    edited June 2014
    Options
    With the underbite I could push the dollar bill thru the front with no resistance. The back side, could not pull the bill out.
    After the adjustment, decent friction with the bill all the way around.