Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex next?

Options
Thanks to RRP's directions as described on the Naked Whiz's website and further discussed in this forum, I have successfully installed a Rutland gasket with Permatex Ultra Copper.   It was an easy job with all the advice and my wife supplying an extra pair of hands. Works great.  Any suggested projects for what to do with the remaining 2/3 of the tube of Permatex?
Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Save it for a high temp gasket on whatever auto, marine etc. Just make sure to seal it up so it doesn't harden in the tube.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Glad those old instructions helped you. Those listed on TNW site were for using that crappy old latex Rutland adhesive. Since you never mentioned what size BGE you have then I have no clue why you would still have that much Permatex left over. My guess is you better save it as your gasket will be falling off sooner than later since you didn't spread enough to properly embed it the way I suggest. BTW Rutland number 1,223 shipped out today along with proper instructions. Am I shameless? Well, I suppose, but I've been doing this for 12 years now as a service to fellow eggers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    RRP,  It was a medium egg.   You advised a gasket size of 72 inches, which was exactly right.  There's proobably half rather then 2/3 of the permatex  But, it could be that I did not spread it thick enough.   We'll see.. I used the 1/4 trowel as shown on the TNW site.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty sure Ultra Copper has a shelf life though I have no idea how long it is. Might even cure in the tube once it's been opened.

Ron, why don't you ask Doug to remove those old directions?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut