Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron pots

Options

there is an auction this Saturday near me and these cast iron pots have my interest.

any thoughts on a price range?  I have no idea but they look like I could use them on my Egg!!

pots.jpg 135.8K

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Depending on the brand....Griswold is good but you will pay more and condition is the other major factor. If you like them just get them.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hopefully Focker will be along shortly - he's a collector, restorer, user, trader, buyer, seller of cast iron of all types! If he lives near you he may even be the sly fox bidding against you that day! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    calling @Focker
    Options
    calling @Focker
    I already sent him a heads-up email. He's not off duty yet...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I absolutely love my CIs, but I can't readily imagine a use for the sizes pictured. What are you wanting to use them for?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Here's a 7 gallon CI pot making about 6 gallons of gumbo:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/d8/c207035091e57e79376ffb121e349f.jpg
    Options
    Doesn't gumbo have tomatoes in it? And aren't tomatoes death to CI seasoning?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ain't no tomatoes in that batch.  Tomatoes aren't a problem.  People cook chili all the time in CI. 

Acidic foods attack cast iron (and carbon steel) faster than neutral or basic (alkaline) food.  That said, the amount of iron that comes off into the food, and it happens with just water in the pot, is safe even with a batch of tomatoes.  What the iron does is influence the flavor, but that's one of the charms of cast iron cookware.  Besides, most people don't get enough iron in their diets.
    Options
    Most LA gumbos do not have tomatoes.  And I have not found that my heavily seasoned CI is affected by tomatoes.   
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Actually, tomatoes aren't even that acidic.
    Some CI can get pretty pricey.  Some you can find at yard sales pretty cheap.  Cabelas recently had a 5 piece Lodge set on sale for $40 off regular so I couldn't pass that up.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Here's a 7 gallon CI pot making about 6 gallons of gumbo:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/d8/c207035091e57e79376ffb121e349f.jpg
    OP,
    The back left piece would work great in a large or xl.  The others would be great used like above, on a turkey fryer or above a campfire for boils, fish frys, etc.  In their current condition, I wouldn't pay more than $10-20 per piece, $20 being for the back left piece.  

I agree with nolaegghead, no worries with tomatoes in reg CI.  If you cook with tomatoes in reg CI, transfer to another dish immediately after egging.  Flaking, peeling, occur when the acidity sits for an extended time.  I do chili in a classic #12 Lodge DO, not one problem.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Be careful if you get the CI tea kettle. I use to use one on my coal stove to help with the dry air. One day it got too hot and shot steam and water all over. It was insane. It's in the garage collecting dust now.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming