Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Primo vs BGE

Options
Went to my local swimming pool store to pick up some salt for the pool and they were selling Primo Cookers now.  I took a look and it seems to be a well built cooker.  Of course they were advertising how much cheaper it is than BGE and all the extra's come free unlike BGE.  With that aside the one thing I noticed was just how HEAVY the lid was?  Is the ceramic just that much thicker or is the hinge system not as good.  I have a XL BGE and the LG Primo lid was much heavier than my XL.  It was like a workout....LOL.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They have a lot of great features. The oval design, split firebox and built in multi level. I would love to have one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think the service you get from your local dealer, either BGE or Primo, would be the major selling point. Both are very well made. 
    Could just be a weak/bad set of springs on the Primo? Never know. 
    I have seen the XL BGE hinge/spring system installed wrong at a couple BGE Dealers in the past. They said they never sell any of XLs. I guess if you can't assemble it correctly...you might not sell a bunch of them. 
    Take a look at the Kamado "Big Joe" next time you get a chance. Compare the hinge and cooking grate to the BGE XL. Very nice as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    What is the benefit of the split firebox? 

I am guessing that if you have an oval shape already, the split let's you split up for indirect heat...but how is that any different than using the plate setter?  If you cook closed you are going to have the same temp all around anyway.   With grate open it doesn't help you because you want the heat radiating up from underneath the food.   I'm missing something here.

Having adjustable grates would be nice.  I just started shopping for those and that seems like an overly expensive option.  I may be making myself one out of washers and bolts!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

I'm not in the market for one.  I really love my XL BGE, just wondered about the heavy lid.  They had a large and XL primo put together and both had very heavy lids.  With that said, I agree they look light a well built grill.  Couldn't tell much difference in quality between BGE and Primo

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    In my opinion, the Primo Oval is marginally better than the XL.  My buddy has one.  The oval shape let you cook long food.  The grill surface is two hemispherical cast iron grates.  Made in USA.
    Options
    I do like the oval design but the XL BGE still has more surface cooking area.

• Little Steven
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    What is the benefit of the split firebox? 

I am guessing that if you have an oval shape already, the split let's you split up for indirect heat...but how is that any different than using the plate setter?  If you cook closed you are going to have the same temp all around anyway.   With grate open it doesn't help you because you want the heat radiating up from underneath the food.   I'm missing something here.

Having adjustable grates would be nice.  I just started shopping for those and that seems like an overly expensive option.  I may be making myself one out of washers and bolts!
    I can't answer from personal experience but some pretty competent guys have told me that you can control temps down in the cold smoke range without fiddling around with other stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    edited June 2014
    Options
    hmmmm, this thread may turn out to be a sly test of just how close this forum is monitored. It's fate will be the answer! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I hope I don't get banned again. Hate when that happens :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2014
    Options
    NM. I was mean. Videos are still funny with their "science".
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Guess if you're a brisket and rib guy, then the Primo shape would be preferred over the round.  On the other hand, one would prefer a round shape for pizzas for convection and radiation.  All comes down to personal preference.  Dealers will push the brand with the higher margins. 

@KiterTodd,

I agree with your thinking.  Split-zone in a ceramic grill is like rotisserie cooking in ceramic over a direct fire???  I too, struggle with the logic.  Two-zone cooking in a poor insulating, higher airflow kettle type grill is different.  

@Little Steven,

You can cold smoke in a cardboard box with a cold smoke generator like the Pro-Q or AMAZ-N.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but what's the advantage of ceramic?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My buddy had a couple BGEs.  He switched over to Primos a number of years back.  He did competition for years, did BBQ catering for years.  He knows his BBQ.

There's nothing wrong with BGE; there's nothing you can't do with a BGE and some accessories that you can't do on the Oval.

Just reporting what's been reported to me by someone with extensive experience with both of them.

That said, I'm very pleased with the BGE (don't throw me off the forum!).
    Options
    I would think the oval shape would make the primo more prone to hot spots
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Back to the original question. Yes the bge has a better hinge system with heavier springs then the primo.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

@nolaegghead

You are so banned......................

Little Rock, AR

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I love my Primo XL.  I wouldn't hate on a BGE XL either.  The split firebox really shines when I reverse sear.  I start with a full firebox my steaks over the "cold side" and over a D-Plate.  Then when the meat hits 100 to 110 degrees, I open the lid, get a good fire near the top (doesn't need to be super hot, just close to the grate to sear.

But that's my experience.

Personally, what sold me was the shape (just seemed to work better), and because of that shape, the ability to do direct cooks and indirect cooks at the same time.  After the fact, I liked having the grates flush with the bottom, so you could "slide" your fish straight off the grill onto a plate and not have to pick it up with tongs b/c maybe your tongs suck and also you'd had a few bourbon drinks and your motor skills were on the shoddy side that day.....maybe....

Either way, BGE/Primo/Kamado Joe all 3 charge an arm and a leg for their products, so you can bet they're well built and will last.   

My .02
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Also my right arm is really strong from lifting the lid......not the other thing......
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'll ask my buddy about the hot spots and hinge.  BGE has a hot spot - the back of the egg.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    They are both fine cookers in their own right. Each have slight advantages over the other under different cooking situations. I chose the egg to fit my needs just as others chose the Primo to fit their particular needs. The only real advantage that I give to the Primo is it's made in America. I know I'm one of the older participants here so my loyalties to country first are very strong. I would gladly pay a higher price for my egg if they would produce them in America. Comparing Primo to the egg is akin to comparing Jambo to Yoder. They are both top of the line cookers. Just have a different name and a slightly different approach to reach the same end result. Chose what works for you my friend and don't get caught up in marketing hype. Just for the record I chose the egg so don't ban me either please. I chose both the Yoder and Jambo clone as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    BGE ceramics are fired to 2000 degrees, and the only kiln capable of firing that high is in Mexico. The rest of the egg is made in the USA. Yes, Primo boasts made in the USA, and the kilns in the USA used to fire them do not attain anything near the temps the eggs are fired to. My regional distributor told me this info last year.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Most any kiln can hit 2000F.  That's not that hot  in the world of ceramics.
    Options
    http://www.clay-king.com/kilns/paragon_kilns/paragon_iguana.html

Not trying to argue but I think that fellow was less than honest with you about the only kiln that can reach 2,000 degrees being in Mexico. You can buy small home use kilns that will heat far beyond 2,000 degrees. I could be wrong but I'm more than certain that I'm not. If I am incorrect I will gladly stand corrected my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    My weed burner will achieve 2,450F.

Status- Standing by.

• Camben
    Camben Posts: 24
    Options
    My brother had both the XL BGE and Primo. He sold the BGE. I was at his place last week and was checking out the Primo and the first thing I noticed was the weight of the lid. It looks like it's very well made though. I wonder if they crack as quick as the egg...
    LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I never heard of the Primo and just looked it up. How much were they selling them for there? The prices I just saw online are no cheaper than the BGE.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Just re read. Maybe with the extras added in it's cheaper.

Dearborn MI
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Before buying my Egg I seriously considered a Primo. I loved it was made in the USA( actually in my home state!) the only thing that sold me on the egg was all the eggsesories . I kinda wish I would've bought a Primo now because the base of my egg cracked and have sent BGE pics , warranty info and everything necessary to get it swapped and it's going on 2 Weeks and I haven't heard a word back from them!!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Before I purchased my LBGE I did my due diligence as a customer and researched several products. I was between the BGE and the Komoda Komado and I had heard nothing but, praise about both. Then came the $$$ & at the time I could've afforded either but, in the end I really liked the buzz I heard on customer service and the dealer I went to was most excellent and I have continued a good customer relationship with them. At the end of the day there are many cookers available on the market.Many try to mimic the BGE but, when it comes to customer service/customer relations BGE wins every time and twice on Sunday.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Everyone is knocking off the BGE.....c'mon, give me a break.  The Japanese were using these for millennia.