Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another cast iron pan pizza

Options
Did another pan pizza this week, the crust did not turn out as well this time as it did with the previous pies.  The top sure does look awesome though.  I'm thinking it could be due to the fact when I cooked it this time, the edge of the pizza was pointing Northeast, where I usually cook them with the edge pointing to the Southwest.  Anyone else experience this?  Or it could be because I used one of those instant yeast foil packets that had been open for two weeks.  Who knows...  I guess I will have to try again...  I'm lucky my wife likes my pizza, no matter how poorly it turns out.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My money is on the yeast.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I find my poultry turns out so much better when they are cooked with the legs pointing North.  I think I saw that tip on here somewhere...
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've used yeast in the foil packets and not had a problem even when they were partial packs in the fridge for a few weeks. The crust wasn't as good on my last and I think I had the temp a little on the low end and I'm sure I was less generous with the oil in the skillet. I'll make both corrections on my next one though.
    The top of yours looks absolutely delicious.
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I didn't put my opened foil packs in the fridge.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    I didn't put my opened foil packs in the fridge.
    If it wasn't sealed it was definitely the yeast. Yeast activates over 40 degrees and probably started absorbing humidity out of the air. They then dies from lack of food(sugar).
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ^^good theory.

If your yeast is suspect, proof it first.  Add it to warm water with some sugar.  Wait, should start generating bubbles of CO2. 

Edit:  And the handle should be pointing towards Chicago.
    Options
    I was surprised how much oil I need to get a good crust when making a pie. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    When was the last time you calibrated your compass?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.