Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your Perfect Brisket cut?

Options
I have friend who owns a small slaughterhouse and butchery in Pennsylvania. It's a pretty neat operation and he's partnered with a couple farms to get locally raised, grass fed beef that he then processes and ships off to steak houses on the east coast.

I will be up there  in July and he is going to custom cut me a brisket to my specifications. (And a couple of 2" ribeyes!) I have only done a couple of flats so far and have yet to do a full brisket. 

He wanted to know how big and what kind of fat cover I wanted. So what is the the 'perfect' brisket size and cut? He will vacuum pack it for me for transport and I'll know exactly how fresh it is, but should I age it at all, or do anything to it once I get it home before I cook it?

thx

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Where is this place in Pa located?
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Spring Mills, about 20 minutes from State College.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I buy some grass fed briskets raised locally. I've let them wet age in the cyro for 3-4 weeks but sometimes use them right away. Not sure I really notice a difference.

Mine come pretty well trimmed and can range from 10-12+ lbs.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.