Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie problem with Egg and how to fix

Options
I bought an XL BGE this spring, which was purchased at a Westlake hardware. The Egg was purchased, assembled, and delivered.. On my 5th cook I noticed a little hole appeared by the band that holds the handle. I also noticed the gasket wasn't lining up between the top and the base. I'm wondering if the hole is a flaw or possibly a screw hole of some kind. Also what is the best way to realign the gaskets? I've attached a file. On my last use I was making pizza and cooking around 600 degrees. 
bge.JPG 146.8K

Comments

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    Doesn't look normal to me but I don't have the XL.  Recommend a call to your dealer.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Dome does not appear to be properly installed but, like @probe1957‌, i don't have an xl either
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    The hole is for alignment of the top and bottom pieces (one on bottom and one on top piece).  Looks like the top band may be a little low.
  • MagicMike
    MagicMike Posts: 40
    Options
    I have an XL that I put together myself and I don't remember seeing any holes in mine at all. Also, it looks like the band on your lid is pretty low, but it's hard to say for sure from the pics. Did you receive 4 blue alignment tabs with your egg? They are used to align the bands and to make sure they are spaced out correctly before tightening them down on your egg.
  • CosmicVoyager
    Options
    Toolycj said:
    The hole is for alignment of the top and bottom pieces (one on bottom and one on top piece).  Looks like the top band may be a little low.
    I agree. There should be a small indentation for alignment. This looks bigger than that. Hopefully it's not an issue!
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if your thermometer aligns with the center of the handle, you got a hole that should not be there.  looks to me like the top band is pushed as high as it goes on the ceramics, which is good.   Bottom band could be pushed down more.

I'd take a bunch of pixs and visit your dealer.  Exposed ceramics like that will become a problem as weather works on it.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • bdsdnfam
    bdsdnfam Posts: 22
    Options

I have an XL and there aren't any holes.  There are indentations (as others have commented) for lining up the lid with the base.  As far as the gasket alignment that is not correct per your photo.  If you are only 5 cooks in I'd contact your dealer and ask them if they would come out and re-adjust it.  My dealer will come out but then again I'm only 3 miles away. 

Otherwise, there are numerous resources on the web to help tune up your egg!

• sthmpsn38
    sthmpsn38 Posts: 5
    Options
    @bdsdnfam. I guess hole is the wrong thing to say as it doesn't go all the way through. I just was wondering if that spot is a manufacture defect or supposed to be there???
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Mfg defect. Quality control should not have allowed that to ship. For the cost. I would want a new dome
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I agree to @magicmike.  My XL is 2 years old and I do not recall the holes.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • sthmpsn38
    sthmpsn38 Posts: 5
    Options
    who do you go through to get a new dome? My retailer seems less than thrilled to assist in these things?
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    For over a $1000 sale he should be. Go talk to him. And discuss it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited June 2014
    Options
    sthmpsn38 said:
    who do you go through to get a new dome? My retailer seems less than thrilled to assist in these things?
    For what an egg cost i wouldn't care if he had to stand on his head I would definitely get that taken care of

If your dealer wont help get in touch with the mothership let them know about their dealer and their less than Eggcellent customer service
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I bought a brand new one in April. I have a divot (not a hole) that gets covered by the band. I just figured it was the spot from the manufacturing process. Not sure how it is made but I just figured it was from a mold or something, my band covers it and it was also painted, not white like yours. I'm sure a lot of guys on here who didn't assemble their own have the same thing hidden behind the bands. Yours does look very large compared to mine though.

Dearborn MI