Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier lump charcoal

Options
Frontier lump made in usa 20# bags on sale at lowes for 8.99 reg price 13.99 have not burned it yet but many good sized pieces, looks good. .naked whiz recommended.

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Great price for sure.  Let us know how you like it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I might have to break down and try a small bag of it. No wood to fire up the egg this week. Used what dust I had left in the last bag of wicked and this junk carbon del sur. The wicked was probably the worse bag I've ever, ever used. 5-6 inches of dust and chips in the bottom, nails in two pieces of wood.

For $8 bucks, I'll try the Frontier while I wait for my local Ace to get the Rockwood I asked them to order in next week!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Be sure it's the 'Made in USA' one. According to the Naked Wiz site, that's the one with the best review.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

I'm on my fourth 20 pound bag from SAM's and its pretty good. I'm a pour out of the bag kinda guy and by the time I get to the last 20% of the bag it is mostly dust and very small pieces but overall it's a great value at 9.99. My next bag is from Gordon's Food Services at 13.99 for 20 pounds.

Chuck King

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com  

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Sam's has the big bag of Frontier for $10. Gonna buy a bag and try it. The Royal Oak I got from the Wal Mart deal has been a miss so far. Lots and lots of small pieces and dust. So much so it chokes the Egg and it takes lots of work for me to get it going. Yet Royal Oak from Home Depot has been great. Big chunks and easy to light. Maybe a deal is not a deal if it's all dust. Thoughts?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @500 - trust me don't waste your money. Nuff said.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That bad huh? But The Whiz approves.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I grabbed some a while back from Rural King (I think). Only used on one cook. The rest was is the toter for the trash guys on Thursday. I would burn RO before Frontier.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I think that's what I get from BJ's . If it's the same, I don't see what's wrong with it. It lights fairly fast, gets hot, and has less smoke than RO.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • margareedaville
    Options
    I bought it, and would not buy again.  It lights super slow and takes about an hour to get it to temp.  I could never get it over 500 degrees for steaks and pizzas.. very let down.

However.. it did a good job holding 225 for 6 hours the other day for ribs.  Not a single dip or spike.
    CC, TX
    1 Small, 1 Large, BGE Lump... and a lot of love.
  • HAWKCARL
    HAWKCARL Posts: 63
    Options

I also just finished a bag of this stuff. Bought on sale at Lowes.

Complete junk IMO, too a long time to heat up, but burned very fast. Also very very ashy.

I wouldn't buy this stuff again.