Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low Carb Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After trying many low carb pizza dough recipes off the web, trying to make my own with soybean flour, and purchasing every box of low-carb dough mixes at our two low carb store, I just flat gave up on some type of dough for this treat. None of it was fit to eat but I did go another direction as I didn't want to give up pizza. [p]37MVC-002E.jpg[p]I'll start with the sauce which is very good and will add only 1.75 grams of carbo's to each serving. This is enough for 3 pizza's or 6 servings. 1-8oz can Contadina tomato sauce, bout 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup of Walden Farms Bruschetta sauce, Italian spice blend to taste, and a little bit of Splinda to taste.[p]37MVC-003E.jpg[p]For the topping, I just use standard no carb pizza ingredients.[p]37MVC-004E.jpg[p]For the dough, I use the low carb wheat flour tortillas. This will add about 2 net grams of carbs to a pizza serving. [p]37MVC-005E.jpg[p]Sauce them up. The ones I did today, I used the Mozzarella sliced cheese and cut it to fit the tortilla and put it down before I put on the sauce and I liked it better. It kinda made me think that I had a thicker crust on the bottom. [p]37MVC-006E.jpg[p]Put the toppings on. [p]37MVC-007E.jpg[p]Here they are ready to go on the Egg. I usually bake them around 350 for about 15-18 minutes or until the toppings are done.[p]37MVC-008E.jpg[p]Here are the results. I call 1/2 of one the pizzas one serving and the total net carbs per serving is about 4 grams of carbs. I usually eat a whole one at a meal. [p]I probably left something out so if you have any questions, let me know. [p]Dave[p]

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I've tried many low carb products and found most to be disgusting until I tried Dreamfields pasta. Imagine eating a platefull of great mac and cheese and still be in ketosis the next day. According to the box, they claim that the semolina flour somehow has carbs you can't digest. Anyway, my brain said, "why not make pizza dough with semolina flour?" I let the dough rise twice then made the pie. It was good but a little on the heavy side, next time I will let the shaped crust rise some before topping it. It worked because I remained in ketosis after eating four large slices. -RP

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Most pasta is made from semolina flour. It's not the semolina that makes dreamfield pasta low carb, it's the way they process the pasta that does it. But if your staying in ketosis and losing weight eating it, then more power to ya.[p]Steve
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Looks good Dave, and for those of you watching your weight, something to try. I, on the other hand, am not watching my weight, its doing just fine by itself thankyouverymuch.[p]For those of you who are thinking of trying these, give it a shot. I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion to eat Daves pizza, not the low carb unleaded ones but the real leaded ones, and they are a real treat. You wont be disappointed, I guarantee you.[p]Troy
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]When I want a low-carb pizza - mash raw hamburger into whatever shape you want you pizza to be. This will be your 'crust.' BBQ it or bake it or whatever and when it's almost done, take it out, spread with pizza sauce and toppings - usually cheese is enough for me - and put it back to finish cooking.[p]Gwen
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    I've heard of meat hats, but meat pizza crusts??
    Man, that would go over well with the guys! You could even open a pizza chain with meat crusts. I like it.
    Thanks
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]"One always looks neat in a hat made from meat."[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

[ul][li]Hats of Meat[/ul]