Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Out Flatbread Pizzas

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

After seeing @grege345 pics of flatbread pizzas , I knew that I was going to try them. I haven't been able to find flatbread before at my grocery store, but I went looking again and low and behold...there is was sitting right in front of the deli counter. Couple different varieties, but I choose the rosemary and olive oil.

I read the back of the package and it said some nonsense about cooking it at 350. Cook one side for 3-4 mintues or something like that, take it off, flip it, top it and cook it for 2-3 minutes (don't quote me on time). Didn't seem right. Knew it wouldn't cook that fast at that low a temp, but wasn't sure how hot I wanted to go. After all, these flatbreads are pretty thin. I opted to go 400 with the plate setter legs down, 3 green feet and pizza stone. After it had stabilized for a good long time, we went in and built our flatbreads. They both got pepperoni and Italian sausage. Mine also got some peppadew peppers and the Mrs. went with mushrooms and onions. Think that's all.

I quickly learned that two would not fit on the Egg at the same time. Too wide and too long. My planning was to orginally cook them for around 8 minutes.

8 minutes was NOT long enough at 400. I think they each took closer to 15 minutes and I think they still could have crisped up more, but the cheese was melted, the toppings were hot and I didn't want to burn the bottom. Plus, I was hungry.

I had sent @grege345 a message yesterday about his cooking temp, but didn't get it in time. He did respong that he cooked his at 475. I've got 4 more of these flatbreads, so I know I'll experiment some more. Think I'll try 500 this weekend and see how that goes as I want a good crisp crust. Other than that, I thought they were pretty darn good for what they were. Cheap and fast meal for sure and no muss, no fuss with dough if you are in a hurry.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Those look good. I may just be doing some flatbreads me-self this weekend.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Griffin
    Options
    Let us know if you get a temp figured out. Think I'm gonna shoot for 500 next time.

Rowlett, Texas

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Based on your earlier comment, I was going to shoot for 500 too.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    What store you find them at? And who reads directions on a package. I call those manufacturers recommendations.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Options
    Tom Thumb @TUTTLE871 . I may read them out of curiosity, but I sure as heck don't always follow them.

Rowlett, Texas

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I will definitely be looking for these in my grocery store.  They look great.  I noticed the little picture shows them cooking direct and found this on their web site:

I wonder if direct might be worth a try? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Options
    Yeah, I thought about that @SmokeyPitt and would have tried it except for my wife. I always tell her when we make thin pizzas, go light on the toppings. I told her that last night and she responded "I'll make mine how I want to, you make yours how you want to. There's no wrong way to top a pizza." Anticipating that she would go heavy on the toppings and cheese and afraid the top wouldn't get done before the bottom was burnt to a crisp, I opted for indirect. If you can prevent your from going heavy handed, Give it a shot.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    These really good and really simple. Added to my list.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Surprised with them already being cooked they hold up that well under heat without burning.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Did you at least get price sticker shock? Those aren't cheap because they fit well with the weight watcher and low carb plans etc. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I've thought about doing the same thing, Griffin. Definitely post your next results. I was thinking using these as an appetizer.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Cymbaline, they are good for appetizers. I have baked them without toppings (not at high temps), topped with a good tomato basil bruschetta mix. Drizzled with a balsamic reduction and topped lightly with a salty dried cheese. Great first course.
    Dearborn MI
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Griffin said:

After seeing @grege345 pics of flatbread pizzas , I knew that I was going to try them. I haven't been able to find flatbread before at my grocery store, but I went looking again and low and behold...there is was sitting right in front of the deli counter. Couple different varieties, but I choose the rosemary and olive oil.

I read the back of the package and it said some nonsense about cooking it at 350. Cook one side for 3-4 mintues or something like that, take it off, flip it, top it and cook it for 2-3 minutes (don't quote me on time). Didn't seem right. Knew it wouldn't cook that fast at that low a temp, but wasn't sure how hot I wanted to go. After all, these flatbreads are pretty thin. I opted to go 400 with the plate setter legs down, 3 green feet and pizza stone. After it had stabilized for a good long time, we went in and built our flatbreads. They both got pepperoni and Italian sausage. Mine also got some peppadew peppers and the Mrs. went with mushrooms and onions. Think that's all.

I quickly learned that two would not fit on the Egg at the same time. Too wide and too long. My planning was to orginally cook them for around 8 minutes.

8 minutes was NOT long enough at 400. I think they each took closer to 15 minutes and I think they still could have crisped up more, but the cheese was melted, the toppings were hot and I didn't want to burn the bottom. Plus, I was hungry.

I had sent @grege345 a message yesterday about his cooking temp, but didn't get it in time. He did respong that he cooked his at 475. I've got 4 more of these flatbreads, so I know I'll experiment some more. Think I'll try 500 this weekend and see how that goes as I want a good crisp crust. Other than that, I thought they were pretty darn good for what they were. Cheap and fast meal for sure and no muss, no fuss with dough if you are in a hurry.

Looks great! have you ever tried Pillsbury thin pizza crust in the tube? I use it all the time I do bake on a pizza screen one side till light browned, flip add sauce and then toppings and back on the Egg. It's also an easy quick pizza solution.  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Brodman
    Brodman Posts: 4
    Options
    Tried these yesterday. Awesome suggestions from everyone. With the blessing of two lbges, I was able to cook them two ways. One with the directions, and the other at 500 on a pizza stone. The directions actually work well if you do it at way, but the ones on the stone were more crispy. After a few pizzas, I shut down the direct lbge, and cooked the rest on the lgbe with the stone. Seemed to take about 10 minutes till crispy and toppings cooked. Btw, on a lbge, I was able to do two at a time. Family loved them and it was a very fast and easy meal for a week night.
    2 LBGE