Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post and Brisket

Options
ClearedHot28
ClearedHot28 Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
First post on the forum with many more to follow.  After several years and jealousy of my Brother's BGE I found a smoking deal (pun intended) on a barely used large green egg from a guy on Craigslist.  After a month of owning it and cooking everything from steaks to stir fry on it I did my second brisket last night. 

I used a 9 lb choice whole brisket from the local commissary (just about to get out of the Marines and the commissary has great meat prices).  Injected it with a mixture of water, salt, onion powder, and Worcestershire sauce.  I used McCormick's Smoking Texas rub and put it on at 8pm at 230 deg.  I used my IGrill probes for air and meat temp.  Went to bed at midnight and when I woke up at 7am the egg's temp was 239 deg.  After 15 hours cooking with the last hour bringing up the egg's temp to 250 deg the brisket's temp was 196 when I took it off, double wrapped it in tin foil and news paper, and put it in my yeti cooler for 3 hours. 

The brisket was delicious, juicy, and fell apart while I cut it.  Success for the brisket cook, which is great because my girlfriend and I are putting on a large bbq for friends in a week. 

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Sounds good! Now ya just need to figure out how to post pics! So far it never happened!
    NW IOWA
  • ClearedHot28
    Options
    Fixed the pics.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great. I see the pics Welcome to the cult, and thank you for your service. Looking forward to many more posts.
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Perfect. Welcome to the club!
    NW IOWA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great job! Nice to see people coming out of a brisket cook with success! Thank you for serving our great country.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    Nice ccok. I have yet to do a brisket but that sure makes me want to cook one. Thank you for your service.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Welcome! Semper Fi thank you for serving (ex USN here)! Excellent looking brisky. :)
    Here's something you may or may not appreciate. Note the USN & USMC insignia (family is mostly Marines and Navy so both branches are very near and dear to me).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ClearedHot28
    Options
    I've been cooking and BBQing for years and have made do with makeshift setups on Gas BBQ grills.  I have always loved brisket but didn't have the equipment to cook it.  It's not as hard as people think, it just takes patience.  My first one I tried wrapping it in tin foil on the grill after a couple of hours and it was ok, but kinda tough. 

This one I didn't use any tin foil or water pans.  The egg kept the meat very moist even after 15 hours.  I'll post my next brisket cook in a week.  I also cooked up some appetizers bacon wrapped shrimp with a mango bbq sauce glaze while the brisket rested.  Very tasty.
  • ClearedHot28
    Options
    Nice holster NPHuskerFL.  Looks like you have a nice gen 4 Glock there, though kinda hard to tell which one since they are all boxy (I've got a 27 myself).  I actually have  1 1/2 years of sea time flying CH-46E's off LHD's with two East Coast MEU deployments so I'm very familiar with life aboard ships.  To this day I hate whistles from all the dang announcements from the 1MC.  Did another deployment as a FAC (forward air controller) in Afghanistan a couple of years ago when we had the surge. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @ClearedHot28‌ :-bd ding! ding! ding! Yep G23 w/ TLR-2. Good eye! Thanks for the compliment :-).
    Awesome on the service!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL