Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe and question

Options
2»

Comments

• Larry Maler
    Options
    Thank-you all for your posts on my tongue (& your help on my vent problem).[p]If you hate the very idea... then I wish you the courage to try tongue one day. (Find a Jewish or German deli. Either might have it.)[p]If you fondly remember eating tongue from your childhood, then I hope you try it again. Old traditions should not completely die out, because uniformity is death to any culture.[p]If anyone has any new twists on how to make tongue, then I'm really interested! And if anyone knows a sure-fire recipe for Montreal-style smoked meat (a better version of Romanian pastrami) then please send me that too. How about cholent? Or do I have to try it myself and then post the recipe?[p]Larry

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Larry Maler,[p]There's a brief section on cholent in Claudia Roden's 'The Book of Jewish Food' (an incredible collection of recipes, surrounded by extensive research on history & culture). It includes a recipe for kishke - want to start a thread on that next? ;-}[p]If you're interested I'd be happy to copy & snail-mail the section to you. Let me know if you'd like my Romanian bubbe's recipe for chopped eggplant; it's terrific roasted on the Egg.[p]Cathy[p]
  • Larry Maler
    Options
    Cat,
    Eggplant gives me heartburn. But if your bubbe had a recipe for Ecra (a fish egg spread similar to taramosalata, but better), then I'd really be interested![p]As for kishke, I bought some froma deli near me, and it didn't even have intestine around it, just some manufactured plastic![p]What's the world coming to?[p]Larry

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Larry Maler,[p]My dad's spoken of ecra, but I don't recall my grandmother ever making it. Sorry I can't help. [p]In these modern times, I guess you'll just have to make your own kishke...[p]Cathy