Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustment period going well but...............

Options
After leaving the top daisy wheel 100% open on my WSM for the past 8 or 9 years on every smoke with great temperature control it seems that with the BGE this runs hotter than I want even with the bottom door open about 16th of an inch open. I've been playing around but still having trouble getting down in the 225 degree range without the temperature climbing. I did the $1 test, readjusted the lid/hinge etc and its better but still not where I want to be. How do you guys that have owned your eggs and like to cook L&S run your start up, vents etc. I've been using one BGE starter block in the middle of the charcoal and doing everything I can not to over shoot the 225 degree range. This is also one of the reasons I ordered a Party Que for over night cooks because I'm not comfortable leaving the egg unattended yet. Thanks in advance, Ken
Dearborn MI

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    For me on my XL it's one cube to light, lid down after 10 minutes and start closing vents down once at 200. I end up with the bottom vent about 1/16" and the top so just one 1/4 of the hole on the petals is open
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Pretty much same for me, I'm thinking I may have another leak somewhere......I'm using a large which I'm guessing heats quicker with less area but still should be able to accomplish this. Going to try again with my new lump I bought and see what happens. Everything looks tight on the cooker though.
    Dearborn MI
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Just wondering if you have checked the thermometer? it could be off even if new. Do you realize that 250 dome temp will give you close to 225 at the grate? So 225 dome will give you close to 200 grate temp.

You will need to have the top and bottom vents almost closed in order to keep it at 225 and unless you are doing something like smoking cheese 250 will work just as well as 225. Hope this info helps. JJ 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I checked the thermo when I got it in boiling water. I do know grate temp isn't the same as dome but haven't checked the difference with a probe thermometer yet. I keep forgetting.  When I switched charcoal in my WSM the new brand liked to lock in at 250 instead of 225 in that smoker. I agree the only change in a 25 degree difference was my food was done a little faster with no flavor or quality changes.
    Dearborn MI
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I do things the other way round; I leave the bottom vent all the way open and do my adjustments with the daisy wheel. I can run 225 all day long on my medium. I guess it doesn't matter whether you control it from the top or bottom, so long as you're controlling the air flow.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    For 225 on my large, I have the both daisy wheel and bottom vent nearly closed once it gets started.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• KenfromMI
    Options
    bodski, how long does it take to burn off the VOC's doing that and the smoke starts smelling right? I'm actually trying a new lump next time that everyone on here recommended hoping to have better luck with that. The BGE charcoal stinks big time in the beginning with the vents choked it's even worse. My High Que grate seems to be helping too with the increased airflow but wondering if thats also hurting my L&S attempts. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,171
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Highq grate does not introduce more air into the egg. Light the lump in one or two places and let it burn until you get to 200 dome. Adjust your vents and let the egg stabilize. Wait for the smoke to smell good and then cook.
    Edit: Don't fight your egg. If it wants to go to 250 and you were hoping for 225, then be happy with 250.
    You'll get it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    High Que gives better airflow through the charcoal is what I meant. That's why it was manufactured according to the people on here that convinced me I needed one LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That is correct, but from what you've described, it seems to be a venting issue.
    Flint, Michigan
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ok, thanks
    Dearborn MI
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have always used the daisy wheel for low and slow.  I think some people say they can go without it, but I think for low n slow it might be difficult to hold lower temps.  

For some reason most people find the sweet spot for eggs to be at about 250.  I can hold 225 if I want to, but usually my egg wants to settle in at 250. As mentioned above, it really doesn't matter too much because 250 is a fine dome temp for low n slow. 

I agree with what Fred said about lighting and pretty much do it the same way.  If the lump seems particularly smokey and stinky sometimes I will let the fire burn a bit hotter and intentionally overshoot the temp and then let it come back down and stabilize.  

The Party Q will definitely make things easier for you.  I think it is a good idea to get the basics of temp control down first, but a controller is just like setting cruise control.   Also with a controller you can hold the lower temps if you want to.  I have held my egg at like 212ish for a couple of hours with a controller.  I just did this for timing reasons- butts were going to finish way early and I didn't want to FTC them for too long.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.