Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I just changed my whole methodology

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
I've always used a very balanced sugar and salt based rub for ribs and pork. A roughly Kansas City style sauce applied only as a brush on my ribs and a Piedmont like sauce for my pulled pork. I have always been a fruit wood over the stronger oak and hickory on all but beef.

Maybe my tastes are changing. Maybe I'm just bored. But I am using basically a home brewed seasoned salt as a rub a couple home brewed sauces more Memphis and Eastern Carolina in style respectively. And I am just crazy about pecan wood. I bought it to make andouille but I really love the stuff.

The profile is less sweet across the board. A lot less. Anyone else who makes a lot if their own go through this kind of evolution?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @‌TonyA
    I use to make a lot of my own rubs and sauces. Not so much anymore. There are so many excellent ready made rubs and sauces available now that I just buy them for the convienance and time savings. Also because they buy their ingriedants in bulk there finished product is just as cheap or cheaper than making them from scratch. Again there was I time I enjoyed making rubs and sauces as much as I enjoyed the cooking process it's self. But now I'm old and lazy and take the easy road my friend .

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I never put sugar on my beef.  Salt and peppers.  Pork, I add a little for the bark.

Pecan is good stuff.  I need to start using it again, I have enough of it to last me to the next storm. (where I replenish my local smoke wood supply).
    Options
    I've actually kicked up the spice and down on the sugar in my rubs. My next Brisket I'm making a rub with no sugar at all. As far as Pecan my father in law usually brings me up some cut logs from S.C. when he visits and I split and chunk them. Like many I started smoking with Hickory but I don't even use it anymore at all. If I'm lazy I buy store bought sauce, if I'm feeling energetic I make it. Still like sweet sauce even if my rub is spicy though. 
    Dearborn MI
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    It's all a mood thing here. Choice of meat. Choice of smoke. Choice of rub, etc. I make my own and have brand name stuff to choose from. Just having all those choices sometimes is the fun of it.