Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So California Eggers...what lump do you use???

Options
2»

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    Options

California doesn't have any bans on our charcoal, but there's no way you'd ever get a plant built there.  For us, it's just the packaging/labeling requirements.  And while it may seem to be any easy fix, have you seen the settlements & fines from class action lawsuits by "Consumer Cause, Inc." and other group that prey on businesses?  Screw that label up or do not make it conspicuous enough, and you're looking at 6-figure fines if these folks take a liking to you.   http://oag.ca.gov/  We would have to keep a CA environmental attorney on retainer to monitor those laws and make sure we're compliant. 

Besides that, I do not want the words "cancer" or "birth defects" on the product that we ship to the other 49 states that do not require that frightening, redundant, and ridiculous statement.  It's carbon monoxide--it comes out of ANYTHING that burns.  That's what the big CPSC required label is on there for. 

I wish I had the power like Starbucks to thumb their nose at the law and not put the Prop 65 warning on their coffee cups, but I do not.  So, much like Smith & Wesson and Ruger just decided, it's just safer not to sell to CA.

Sorry--I really wish I could help you guys out, but there are some bad people out in CA punishing  businesses "on your behalf".  Unless you get your share of that dirty money, please write your legislators asking for tort reform and the repeal of Prop 65 (or at least how it wrongly applies to an ALL NATURAL / organic product.)

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

That it I'm going to pull a Shawshank Redemption and send a letter everyday of the week!

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    McStew said:

That it I'm going to pull a Shawshank Redemption and send a letter everyday of the week!

And when you don't get an answer, are you going to write two letters a week???  I'll even mail them for you.

That state is about as crooked as the old warden, eh?   =))

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    Options

McStew said:

And when you don't get an answer, are you going to write two letters a week???  I'll even mail them for you.

That state is about as crooked as the old warden, eh?   =))

I think you're confusing the word corruption with citizen activist laws.  They're really nothing alike.

http://www.stateintegrity.org/your_state

Edit: word was crooked, assumption was corrupt
    Options
    I feel bad for you guys in California. Too much government regulation for me. 
    To much Government regulations in ALL states ..... IMHO
    Affordable Care Act?? (yeah right) to name one!!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @stlcharcoal  deal two letters a week it is               :D
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    Options
    Bay Area egger here, I use a 50/50 mix of WGWW and Royal Oak ( thanks @smitty from eggs by the bay, great selection of lump)  , it lasts long, low ash, medium smokiness and easy to light and stays lit.  I wish i picked up more 20lb bags of royal oak when walmart had a sale , i only see them carrying small bags now. Havent tried any Aces around here though.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    I think you're confusing the word corruption with citizen activist laws.  They're really nothing alike.

Illinois has had four governors and three US House reps go to prison, yet that list says they're less corrupt than 39 nine other states.  Yeah right.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Illinois has had four governors and three US House reps go to prison, yet that list says they're less corrupt than 39 nine other states.  Yeah right.
    That's why they scored a "D" on legislative accountability. It's not the only thing involved in the process to evaluate corruption.

California is a direct democracy.Laws voted on by the electorate as either an initiative(brought by the people) or referendum(voted on by the people). Not some cabal of corrupt individuals in Sacramento. If the legislature passes a law people don't like? Guess what, the people can vote to repeal it. Most states in the west work this way.

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    I order Ozark Oak online from Shoppers Choice.  Other than that I use Royal Oak, and in a pinch BGE lump from my dealer.

I like California but sometimes we take our lumps.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • geoff7877
    geoff7877 Posts: 35
    Options
    I use lazzaris. Great lump but you do get a mixed bag of chunks. Some are little broken up bits and some are literally fire log size. I break up the logs to even out the heat. That's my only complaint.
    Petaluma, CA