Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Steaks tonight on the BGE

Options
Unexpectedly scored today off work and decided it was a good steak night. Watched some videos of a quick cook at 650 degrees or more direct and then choking down the egg and letting the steaks sit like an oven for about 4 minutes more. Any thoughts? Any of you make steaks this way? Ken
Dearborn MI

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Better to do a reverse sear.  Cook them at low temp to about 100 or so, then crank the egg and sear 1 min per side and flip until your desired temp - 130 or so.
    NOLA
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Sear and dwell is the way my wife and I like our steaks and when we have company searing at 700º or 800º is always a hit. Then choke the fire off and dwell for 4 or 5 minutes depending on the steak thickness.

Best part is the 'burp' when I open the dome!! I can usually get a flame out the top a couple of feet long that impresses the crap out of everyone.

Never was sure why people did a reverse sear I get great grill marks every time the way I do it.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Ive always seared for a few minutes, turned steak 45 degrees, sear same side again for a few minutes to get criss cross marks, flip and finish on second side. I couldn't see a reverse sear coming close to a regular sear for aesthetic value anyway. That criss cross pattern looks awesome plated up.
    Dearborn MI
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear. I use a shallow cast iron pan w/a little garlic butter. Oh yeah! I've been doing them high raised direct on the AR until 10 degrees below desired temp. Rest about 10 minutes while letting the egg w/CI pan down close to lump come up to 600. Then 1 min/side. Soooooooo good!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I grilled a 1 1/2 inch bone in Rib Eye last night. A thicker steak at least 1 1/2 inch is critical if you want it med rare to rare. Let the steak out at room temp for 45 minutes. Seasoned both sides with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper. When the grill temp was at least 650 placed the steak on cast iron grate for 3 mins. After 3 mins flipped over and placed back on grill for 3 mins. After the second sear shut the vents and let it sit for 3 - 4 minutes depending on how you like your steak. Remove the steak and let it rest for 5 mins. One of the best steaks I ever cooked on the BGE thus far.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Just picked up some thick New York Strips today for tonight.

Dearborn MI
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Drop your grate down on top of the fire box. Fire the egg up at let it go to 600 or 700  dome temp. Drop the steaks on and cook 2 min. Pull them and let them rest for 2 min. Baste with butter and red wine vinegar and drop them back on the grate on the opposite side for another 2 min. Keep doing this for about 3 times on each side. Best of the best!!!! Thermapen to about 125  to 130
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Well forgot to take out the bricks so my grate was gasket level. Did 2 minutes first side, flipped. 2 minutes second side, flipped. 2 More for the criss cross and shut it down for 4 minutes. Was shooting for medium rare but ended up a very tasty medium. All in all a success. Next time just going to reduce the time a few minutes.
    Dearborn MI
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Anybody like the spider + lowered grate combination?
    Kemah, TX
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Ive had my LBGE about 3 weeks now and I did my first large steak cook today for the family. I did a reverse sear of sorts. I cooked them raised direct on ci grate. About 5 minutes per side at 400º removed them jacked the heat to 650º and seared a minute or so per side to a perfect 130 it. Grilled the drumsticks for the kids before and grilled some asparagus for the adults after while the steaks were resting. Served with homemade mushroom sauce, salt potatoes, homemade mac n cheese, corn on the cob. Dinner was awesome and evryone was thrilled at how thw food came out on the egg. This forum is great for ideas and methods. I really love this egg

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• bigdaddydivo
    Options
    Sorry here are the pics

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Scotbradly725
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I grilled a 1 1/2 inch bone in Rib Eye last night. A thicker steak at least 1 1/2 inch is critical if you want it med rare to rare. Let the steak out at room temp for 45 minutes. Seasoned both sides with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper. When the grill temp was at least 650 placed the steak on cast iron grate for 3 mins. After 3 mins flipped over and placed back on grill for 3 mins. After the second sear shut the vents and let it sit for 3 - 4 minutes depending on how you like your steak. Remove the steak and let it rest for 5 mins. One of the best steaks I ever cooked on the BGE thus far.
    This is also exactly the way I cooked my first steaks on my MBGE and they were hands down the BEST STEAKS I'VE EVER EATEN!!!!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Did a couple 1 3/4in Costco strip loins. T-Rex method. Got egg rolling to 750* and seared 1 1/2 min/side. Rested steaks for about 15 min while I brought the Egg down to 400*. Put steaks back on for 5 min/ side. Thermopen read 120*. They were amazing!!
    GWN
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Looks good. Did the rest leave a lot of juices on the plate? Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Looks good. Did the rest leave a lot of juices on the plate? Ken
    No. Not at all. I find as long as you rest for less than twenty minutes, juices won't run...
    GWN
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited May 2014
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159650/first-steaks-on-egg#latest  Do them like this and you won't do it any other way!!!

Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg