Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs question

Options
Thinking of trying Turbo Ribs for the first time Monday. taking them off the grill and resting them in foil while I ramp up the heat for pizza. I have 1 1/2 slabs of BB's in the freezer. What's a good starting point for the ribs? Sounds like maybe 350 degrees dome?  If so how long should I expect. Also is 350 dome too high to use a rub with sugar in it?  Thanks in advance, Ken
Dearborn MI

Comments

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Ken - 350 indirect is perfect, and isn't too high for a sugar based rub.  It should take about 2 hours at 350.  I sauce at somewhere around 1:40 and pull at 2 hours, assuming they pass the bend test (they always do).
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I know Turbo ribs are the rage here, myself ... I don't really care for them. I've gotten more positive reviews over the long cook than I have in the turbo cook. No shortcuts for me.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    Ken - 350 indirect is perfect, and isn't too high for a sugar based rub.  It should take about 2 hours at 350.  I sauce at somewhere around 1:40 and pull at 2 hours, assuming they pass the bend test (they always do).

I agree with tksmoke, 350 is fine. I've done them a couple times at 300 to 350. The last time I did them I took them to 180, wrapped them in foil; with butter, brown sugar and apple cider. I then put them back on and took them to 190. They were fall off the bone and tasty, but next time I'm wrapping in foil at 165; with butter, brown sugar and honey and them to 185-190. I have done them with no foil in the turbo method with a brown sugar rub and those were good too. Both times they took around 2 hours. Have fun, they should be good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Oh, I have the sauce on the side. That's how I and most of my friends like it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    SoCalTim, Ive never did them any other way than low and slow. I just gotta try to see for myself. I find it hard to believe that they are better. I do however want to see if they are good enough for when you want ribs and don't have 5 to 6 hours. I remember an article from Cooks Illustrated where they said it is good to rest your ribs in foil for an hour after they are done in lieu of using foil during the cooking so I figured I'd just rest them while the pizzas cook.
    I worked in a rib joint for 4 years in high school that did a two step high heat cook and they never were tender enough. I'm new to the BGE also and not sure how my low temperature regulating will go so I figured a higher heat would be easier to achieve than the 225 degrees I cook at in my WSM for my first try on smoking................One more question, do you find in the BGE that you need less wood than with other smokers? Thanks, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ladeback, I've always foiled with a few TBSP of  pineapple juice on my 5 hr BB and 6hr Spares. After all the rage about blue bottle squeeze Parkay and brown sugar I gave it a try several times. I went back to my pineapple juice after myself, my wife, and friends all liked my original ones better with just juice. 
    Dearborn MI
  • tksmoke
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ - I'm not saying turbo ribs are better than low and slow. But definitely give it a try - they are excellent!! Typically folks will say they are the best ribs they've ever had. Very hard to distinguish from L&S. I'm not in the foiling camp, but whatever works for you.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    It's all about preferences, I've done low and slow and turbo ribs many times.  I go 350 dome. membrane removed from ribs, yellow mustard and ether Oakridge BBQ or Dizzy pig Dizzy Dust, 1 hour meat side up, 1 hour meat side down.  I think this evens out the color .  I have had ribs get dark on one side by not flipping them.  Just my preference.  If the ribs are not very meaty you may only need an hour and 50 mins.  The bend test tells me when they are done, never have checked the IT of ribs. I spritzed ever 30 mins with apple juice. I don't foil my ribs, we do not like "fall off the bones".   My ribs are usually single bite tender. As tksmoke says,  Very hard to distinguish from L&S.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I foil for my wife, she likes to eat ribs with a fork LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • tksmoke
    Options
    I eats 'em with my fingers!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I like a little stick to the bone myself. I like to be able to take a bite and the rest stays on the bone when you pull away.  
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Damn, now I want ribs.
    NOLA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Dave, Ive never heard of checking the internal temp of ribs until this forum. Ive always just done them by time and look.
    Dearborn MI
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm cutting up junks of watermelon and adding them to the foil for the last hour. Read about it but have not tried it 
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg