Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite BBQ Sauce for ribs? That's easy to find...

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
...I have a Wegman's, Harris Teeter, Safeway and Giant around me.

I tend to like ribs dry for myself, but I think most people like them with sauce (it's for a party) and I personally like the taste of a sweet spicy sauce cooked into a rib at the end of a smoke.   If I don't make my own BBQ sauce I usually lean towards Bone Suckin' Sauce (Spicy or Regular) for dipping in.  It's sweet, with a good flavor, but isn't too thick.  So you can baste with it well.

Any particular ones you'd recommend?  It can't be too hot since it is for a crowd, but I don't mind a solid spice.
On the other hand, I'm going to smoke the ribs with Dizzy Rub on them so I don't want to overpower that flavor.

Thoughts?
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• KSwoll
    KSwoll Posts: 129
    Options
    I like Bob's Havin a BBQ or 50/50 Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red Sauce. If I am in a pinch and have access to a grocery store then I use Sweet Baby Rays.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bone Sucking Sauce is one of my favorites(plus you mentioned it). Dinosaur BBQ sauce is good too(Wegmans). The Wegmans store brand sauces are pretty good as well. My wife grabbed the Kansas City variety for a crowd last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I doctor Sweet Baby Rays with Pineapple juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, and something with a bit of spice like Cayenne if I'm stuck with big store brands. I've also heard but never tried K.C. Masterpiece original mixed 50/50 with K.C. Masterpiece Honey BBQ sauce is good. 
    Dearborn MI
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    When I sauce them (and don't make my own) I use sweet baby ray's.  I really love it and always get RAVE reviews.
    Long Island, NY
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    The Harris Teeters around here all have a Locals Only section and you can usually find some good BBQ sauces there. Of course I do live in Winston salem right next to Lexington so Im not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Stubbs Original is a favorite here on short notice.  No HFCS or other crap.  All natural, and a good flavor. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Stubbs is my sauce of choice too.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried this flavor yet but you mentioned you like sweet and spicy:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks, guys!  I'll poke around the shelves and see what I find.  I appreciate the suggestions as It is usually an overwhelming selection and there is only so much you can tell from looking through the bottle or reading the label.

Any suggestions for something that will give it that sweet bbq coating, but still let the underlying smoke/rub shine through?  Maybe there is something simple I'm overlooking like just mixing apple cider with honey or brown sugar.   I don't like it too sweet, but you probably know the flavor.  Just something to caramelize and sweeten the smokiness (which can be overpowering to some people).
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    The Stubbs Sweet Heat is good stuff!!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    This is what is working for me ...50/50 Blues Hog Barbecue Sauce and Blues Hog Tennessee Red Sauce.. Both sold at our local Harris Teeter store..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My wife brought home Stubbs Sweet Heat on some BBQ chicken a few weeks back and it was pretty good. 
    Dearborn MI
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Gates Original is a winner in this house.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Stubbs cut with honey...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    50/50 Bone Sucking & Blues Hog. I am like you, dry rules.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mickey said:
    50/50 Bone Sucking & Blues Hog. I am like you, dry rules.

+1 best I have found to date
    Greensboro, NC