Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't put my egg back together

Options
Took my egg apart so I could bring it with me this Memorial Day weekend and now I can't seem to out it back together. The hinge is my issue, it's as though it's flipped into an open position and I can't seem to get the little bolts to line up anymore. I've been picking the lid up and trying to place the bolts in the designated slots on the hinge for an hour. It's dark now so it's hard for me to take pics but if anyone can help me it's greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I can't tell seeing the picture on my phone. Are the bands where they used to be before you disassembled them? Top on top & facing the same way, etc.?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just guessing but I would say to put an adjustable wrench on the flat top of the hinge and move it like it was actually closing.

It appears you didn't take the band off the dome but only removed the nuts from the 4 bolts that hold the band to hinge

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options

The hinge top is tilted back 45 degrees from where it should be.  I have never seen one in that position.  Are you sure you put it back together correctly?  You may need to get the two plastic packing clips to properly realign the hinge bolts.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Hinge is in the open dome position, what @Mattman3969 says.... close the hinge with a crescent wrench and then slide the dome into the hinge. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If it aint broke, take it apart and find out why!

Close the hinge and secure with heavy cable ties and reposition then bolt and screw it back together.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• 0EggMan0
    0EggMan0 Posts: 17
    Options
    The hinge was in the open position and I'm not sure when or how it ended up flipping. I muscled the lid through the collar at an upright 45 degree angle and held it there just long enought to slide the bolt and nut on. Once I hade it slightly secure I was able to lower the lid, release the hinge and get everything realigned. I appreciate you all taking time out to analyze my situation and give advice.

Egg on people!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    When and if you take it apart again, make sure to use the lil white piece or a zip tie to prevent the hinge from opening.

Glad you figured it out!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    Take the hinge off the top dome. Now bolt the top ring to the hinge. Know pull the ring to the closed position. Use cable ties to hold closet.know you should be able to place dome into place and tighten.
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY