Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled salmon tips anyone?

Options
Hi everybody! I have one month with my XL BGE, I've been having a very good start with steaks, pork ribs and pizza, but tonight I've had my first dissapointment; I prepared five salmon fillets with a rub of paprika, red pepper, salt, garlic powder and green onion powder, I cooked them for 15 minutes at a grill temperature between 370°and 420°F (my goal was to have it at 375°F, I did the best I could) over a cedar plank (plank soaked in water for 2 hours), after 15 mintes the thermometer (a wireless maverick) indicated that the salmon was 135°F, the grill was 370°F at that moment, It took me half a minute to take it out, by that time the salmon was 140°; the result was a pretty dry fish, nothing good at all, any ideas on what went wrong? any tips for the future? BTW, I know my rub was not the best choice, but I never thought it could go that bad; any constructive criticism will be appreciated. (The fish was of good quality, bought it at the local costco, it looked nice).Thank you.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked some King salmon two days ago.  An instant read can give you a better "picture" of the meat temp - stab in several places on several pieces of fish (doesn't cook evenly).  I pulled at 120F, was cooking direct, and it was a perfect medium rare and delicious.
    Options
    I never have used an instant read on fish so I have no idea what temp I cook to. Wild caught has a lot more oil than farm raised and stays more moist. I grill meat side down until the protiens firm up and a spatula slides underneath easily, flip it skin side down until it's done.   
    Dearborn MI
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    Just made it last night with King Salmon, purchased from Costco. Just over a pound and a half. I separated it into 3 fillets. Combined 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar. The recipe called for a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, but I used a little sesame oil instead. Since Sesame oil is pretty strong, I only used 1 tablespoon. I did use cedar planks and apple wood (2 chunks) for smoke. Starting temp, was about 300, got up to 375. Took the fish off when it firmed up and the schmutz formed on the top of the fish. The combination of the smoke and the marinade was fantastic. Best Salmon I've made. Awesome.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I cook mine hot & fast. Cook direct around 450F. Brush the fish with oil, then season. I do a 60/40 method. Meat side down for 60% of the cook, flip and finish it off. A fish spatula helps. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

If it was at 135, it was already overcooked as the temp is going to continue to rise even after you pull it off. You should have pulled it earlier.

Another thing to consider, did you just pull the plank out and left the salmon sitting on it. Some residual heat from the plank could have continued to cook it as well.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    And btw, welcome to the forum and the craziness.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'll usually go at 350 for planked salmon and 15 mins is about right.  I like DP Ragin River with just a bit of butter once it's pulled.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-salmon-fillets-dijon/detail.aspx

This works well with a cedar plank or cooked indirect on a foiled pan.

I found it's a refreshing break from recipes that use oils and rubs.

Very easy & quick to prepare too.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited May 2014
    Options
    hedigotoGriffin said welcome to the cult. I've been cooking on Kamados for 30 years and I'm still learning. Enjoy the journey my friend, they won't all be perfect. So IMHO if the fish was dry it was either too hot or too long.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser