Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off-flavor of smoke in my pizza

Options
I just cooked my first pizza last weekend and in my haste - i think i put the pie on before the coals were fully ready to go.  I was just so hungry and didnt know any better and put it on once i got up to about 650.  I have since read about putting things on too early and having some smoke imparting unwanted acrid flavors into the food.  My question is wheather or you can really put food on too early or if i might just have some bad lump.  This was just the bag of BGE they gave me when i purchased my egg.
Victoria, MN

Comments

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Yes, you can put food on too early.  If the smoke smells bad (especially thick & white), your food will probably taste bad as well.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    if i recall - the smoke was very white, you can even see some of it in this pic i took.  At least the pizza looked really tasty despite not enjoying it at all....
    Victoria, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My first pie was turned out exactly the same- way too smokey.  Let it burn for a while before you put the pizza on and it will make a world of difference.  You can also trust your nose.  Hold your hand over the top then smell it :).  If it smells "clean" you are ready to go.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Haste makes waste! One of the better pieces of advice regarding the egg is to stabilize the egg and pre-heat the stone for 20 minutes or so - very hard to have acrid smoke if you follow those guidelines. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Agreed with all the above. Was there a chance you still had a bit of smoke wood left from a previous cook?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    You also want to lift that stone up off of the platesetter.  Did your crust burn at all?  It may not have because you didn't preheat the stone.

Best is to get an inch of airflow under the stone, and if you can get the pizza up in the dome a little more, you will likely have better luck.
    NOLA
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Just a thought because that lump
    looks very well lite, did you by chance do a real fatty kind of cook previously to the pie? If so was there any remaining lump left over? I usually try not to cook something direct like cheese burgers and then reuse that lump, it can have an off flavor.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!