Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock Chicken

Options
Cooked my first spatchcock chicken this afternoon. Stabilized the egg at 370 per the Naked Whiz instructions and used Team Sweet Mama's BBQ Chicken Rub from Savory Spice shop. Didn't get much in the way of after photos since I was quick to cut and eat!

Let things go for about an hour which was a bit too long. When I checked the temp of the breast it was about 180 and the thigh was around 200. Still pretty moist but lesson learned for next time.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good from here =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that first attempt! Egging a splated Cornish hen myself tonight. Next time you might want to try using a raised grate so the yard bird is a bit further from the coals...at least that works for me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @randerson1126‌ Looks great :-bd! But, being this is your first when you do your next yard bird try it raised direct 375℉-400℉ and place it legs toward the rear/hinge. Like this (see pic). I do usually 2-3 of these per week. Give it a try and see what ya think.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • randerson1126
    Options
    Will definitely raise the grid next time. Had a little too much char on the underside. Figure it may be easiest to raise it with some fire bricks?
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Looks awesome!! Never knew chicken would be so fun/ good!!
  • randerson1126
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ what's the benefit to turning it with legs back? Will definitely do that but wondering what the benefit is. Thanks!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Will definitely raise the grid next time. Had a little too much char on the underside. Figure it may be easiest to raise it with some fire bricks?
    Couple of any kind of bricks will work. Or 3 empty beer cans in a pinch.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options

@NPHuskerFL‌ what's the benefit to turning it with legs back? Will definitely do that but wondering what the benefit is. Thanks!

The temp is hotter in the back do to the thermal dynamics of the egg and of course you cook the legs to a higher temp.

Bloomfield, NJ
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Sorry would've responded but, the forum had kept me from commenting &/or posting. Yes, +1 on thermal dynamics in the rear of egg it's hotter. Breast 165℉/ Thighs 180℉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options

I also did my first spatchcock this weekend and I have a few questions;

When you remove the backbone and turn the bird over to sort of flatten it out how far do you go? Mine looked like the above pictures but I was just curious as to how flat.

Do you remove the wishbone and cut pockets in the thighs to tuck the wings in?

Is it strictly a bad idea to use birds where the label reads "partially injected with a broth solution of 12%?

I brined mine overnight in a sugar salt, garlic red onion cut up lemons brine, rinsed it and then placed on a rack to dry in the fridge for around 4-5 hours

I placed it on raised direct 350-400 with the legs toward the hinge.

I flipped it a time or two towards the end only because SWMBO likes the skin and breast meat a little browned.

It took about an hour and a quarter and it was just done Breast 160 Thighs 180.

also foil pack roasted some red potatoes on the grill at the same time(I wish I had flipped them as well).

That bird was probably the juiciest chicken I have ever eaten in my life and I am not the biggest bone in chicken fan but the wife and daughters love it.

Everyone thought it was great but also said the chicken was a bit rubbery but quickly blamed it on the chicken and not me (which I was ok with).

I bought the chicken in a two pack at Sams Club 2 4-5 pound Purdue whole chickens for about $10.00, again 12% solution added.

Could it be the solution added that made it rubbery?

I'm gonna verticaly roast the other one next weekend and see how it comes out.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions, Love this forum and my LBGE!!!

Still struggling with my maverick 733 and bringing up to temp but I hope that will come with time.

Have a good week!

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @bigdaddydivo‌...All I do is pull bird from cryovac bag, rinse under cool water, Spatchcock, dry completely with paper towels, lite EVOO (you can omit the EVOO as some have said it gives them unpleasant flavor but, I haven't personally had that problem), basic seasoning of kosher salt and pepper is fine (or you can do whatever you like on seasoning--mine varies--).My egg setup: raised grid, bird thighs pointed toward hinge assembly, temp 375℉-400℉ and toward the end I will bump up to 415℉-420℉ (gets skin a bit more crisply), pull 160℉ breast, 180℉ thighs (this allows for carry over cooking). I don't flip the bird and the skin is mostly crispy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bigdaddydivo
    Options

@bigdaddydivo‌...All I do is pull bird from cryovac bag, rinse under cool water, Spatchcock, dry completely with paper towels, lite EVOO (you can omit the EVOO as some have said it gives them unpleasant flavor but, I haven't personally had that problem), basic seasoning of kosher salt and pepper is fine (or you can do whatever you like on seasoning--mine varies--).My egg setup: raised grid, bird thighs pointed toward hinge assembly, temp 375℉-400℉ and toward the end I will bump up to 415℉-420℉ (gets skin a bit more crisply), pull 160℉ breast, 180℉ thighs (this allows for carry over cooking). I don't flip the bird and the skin is mostly crispy.

Great Thanks NPHuskerFL! Thats pretty much what I did except for the heat bump. I didn't feel like I got a lot out of the brining.

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• 0oHUNTo0
    0oHUNTo0 Posts: 34
    Options
    How would y'all recommend doing 2 birds at once? I have a large egg. 
    Large BGE, DigiQ DX2
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    0oHUNTo0 said:
    How would y'all recommend doing 2 birds at once? I have a large egg. 
    I have an Adjustable Rig and have no problem fitting two spatchcock birds on my Large Egg at all

even without the AR it shouldnbt be a prolem
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM